natural gas plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I'm planning a stand build and while I currently have two propane burners, my friend suggested NG as my water heater runs on it in the garage. So then I thought...flexible hose (like ones for outdoor grills) running off a splitter to a female QD on the wall. On my stand I could have a male QD coming from two burners.

I have never plumbed gas so I have questions:
1) why does everyone use solid pipe vs flexible hose?
2) does each burner need a regulator, or can the regulator be from the main line and simply run the line to the burner?
3) Is this costly to do or pretty affordable (vs using two propane tanks and burners?

Gas lines have capacity limits based on the size and length of the piping. If the line to your hot water heater is of marginal capacity it might not support adding your burners to it. You also aren't going to find any professional willing to install quick disconnects inside a house/garage or inspectors willing to sign off on the permit.

1. Black iron pipe is cheap and morons can install it. It isn't going to get accidentally punctured by an errant screw or nail. There are corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) products too but they require different installation techniques for correct installation.
2. It depends. Typical natural gas installations are at a pressure low enough (.25-.5psi) not to require regulators but I don't know if you have a typical installation.
3. You can't legally DIY natural gas piping in Seattle without pulling a permit which will affect cost but it still may be worthwhile. Send me a PM and I'll give you some names of good installers.

Do not put quick disconnects in your home. There is a very, very good reason they're for outdoor use only, in that they may not seal completely when the hose is disconnected.

from a cost standpoint, is it better to buy NG burner or buy the propane (like the BG10) and convert it?

Do not put quick disconnects in your home. There is a very, very good reason they're for outdoor use only, in that they may not seal completely when the hose is disconnected.

have a QD in my garage. I have a valve behind it because I was a little nervous about it. It adds an extra level of safety. I keep it shut off unless I'm brewing.

have a QD in my garage. I have a valve behind it because I was a little nervous about it. It adds an extra level of safety.

I would absolutely not have a QD just danging there. In fact, those hoses are damn pricey. IF I did go this route, I'd have BIP on the wall with a shutoff then the hose to the stand

I would absolutely not have a QD just danging there. In fact, those hoses are damn pricey. IF I did go this route, I'd have BIP on the wall with a shutoff then the hose to the stand

That's exactly what I have. I have black pipe, a shutoff valve, more black pipe, and a QD. The QD screws onto the pipe nipple. I have a 25 ft hose I plug into the QD when I'm using the burner. When I'm done I disconnect the hose and shutoff the valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick disconnects with a valve works fine. I am all electric now but I have this in my utility room in the house and I used a plain old rubber hose on the disconnect and ran it out the dog door to the patio. Some may say it's not safe but you just need to use common sense.

1402029498888.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been eying that burner. The specs on Amazon are pretty slim. What size is the gas line connection, and how did you mount it to your stand?

Not mounted yet, in fact projected arrival date is Monday. From other pictures I have seen there are a couple of wings with holes molded in the center part that I will be able to put a bolt through for mounting. I have not built the stand yet. I am going to weld up a portable stand once I get the burner so I can make the measurements.

Because I want it portable (use in the garage or on the patio, depending on weather or inclination) I will be using a 12 ft, 3/8 inch ID, rubber gas hose to feed it coming off a 1/2 inch piped gas line with a QD. I hope that is sufficient supply. The gas line was plumbed outside to allow for hooking up a gas grill so we will see.

where do you get your gas hose? I can't seem to find any links for plain hose that's gas compliant either propane or NG. Only the pre-made lengths.

I used just plain old rubber reinforced hose. Bought it by the foot at Lowes. Put it on brass barbs and added some clamps. It's not "as safe" since it can be punctured but I figured I would be the only one using it. On brew day I just gave the connections a few squirts with my star San bottle to verify no leaks. I used a 3/4“ x 25' hose with one burner with no issues.

I've been eying that burner. The specs on Amazon are pretty slim. What size is the gas line connection, and how did you mount it to your stand?

From personal experience I would not recommend that burner for home use. There is nothing wrong with the burner, your home most likely does not have the gas pressure to run it correctly. It will run cold, dirty yellow, getting soot every where. Especially when you need to turn the heat down and maintain a steady boil.

There are several post on here about this subject, most people end up plugging off all the jets but for the last 10. And then it needs to be in the correct pattern. (Bobby M has commented extensively on these forums about this issue.)

I started off with that burner, eventually capped off 13 jets, to get it to run correctly, my current (soon to be old) setup uses the 10 jet burners, they bring 10 gallons to a roiling boil in 30 minutes.

I would really like to see the mods add this subject to the stickys.

Use this 10 jet NG burner instead.

Untitled.png

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

From personal experience I would not recommend that burner for home use. There is nothing wrong with the burner, your home most likely does not have the gas pressure to run it correctly. It will run cold, dirty yellow, getting soot every where. Especially when you need to turn the heat down and maintain a steady boil.

There are several post on here about this subject, most people end up plugging off all the jets but for the last 10. And then it needs to be in the correct pattern. (Bobby M has commented extensively on these forums about this issue.)

I started off with that burner, eventually capped off 13 jets, to get it to run correctly, my current (soon to be old) setup uses the 10 jet burners, they bring 10 gallons to a roiling boil in 30 minutes.

I would really like to see the mods add this subject to the stickys.

Use this 10 jet NG burner instead.

Thanks for the tip! You've got a nice rig. I do have to ask about the wooden stand though... Are the top rails a different material, or treated somehow?

Thanks for the tip! You've got a nice rig. I do have to ask about the wooden stand though... Are the top rails a different material, or treated somehow?

LOL, your are not first to ask that question.

I posted this build at: $12 dollar wood brew stand

They are steel beams I had laying around. This is the steel you would use if you were building an engine hoist. Or as mentioned in the build post above: a train trestle.

They are brown, because they are rusted. I like the look.

DSC01531.jpg

Back