natural conditioning/carbonating in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUH

Reaction score
Relative Noob here-
I have heard of some people "natural conditioning/carbonating" in the keg. I assume that this entails adding your priming sugar and then transferring to a keg instead of bottles. Then seal it up and wait 2-3 weeks. If this is how it's done; how do you serve from this keg without sucking up all of the new yeast cake with each pour?
I like the carbonation I get from bottling and the ease of serving from a keg. I am wondering if it possible to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the help on this one.

If you naturally carbonate, the first pint you pour will inevitably be filled with the yeast that has settled to the bottom of the keg. After the first pint or two though, you will be fine.

I typically only naturally carbonate my kegs if I already have my 2 CO2 ports hooked up to other kegs! Otherwise, I find it easier to just force carb them. But it is a rare and good problem to have if my kegerator is filled to capacity.

do you still use the same amount of sugar as you would for bottling? I use 4 oz for 5 gallons, corn sugar.

do you still use the same amount of sugar as you would for bottling? I use 4 oz for 5 gallons, corn sugar.

No. Use 1/2 of the amount you would use for bottling.

The reason has to do with the reduced headspace in the keg vs in 53 bottles.

I don't get more yeast sediment from priming vs force carbing. If you don't move the keg around, and let it sit cold for a couple of days before pouring, the first 3 ounces or so are all sludgy yeast. But after that, the beer will pour clear until the keg is gone as long as the keg isn't moved around.

Tons of great info here on HBT. Thanks, this has been a big help.

Todd

i have a keg of hefe conditioning naturally. next week will mark the 3rd week in the keg. should i put it in the fridge 24-48 hours prior to tapping , and when tapping do i just attach the co2 set at 12 psi and pour?
Thanks steve

do i need to burp the keg prior to hooking up the gas

You probably don't need to- but I do. I've had an instance where beer (which was at a higher pressure from carbing at room temperature) went back into my beer line and into my regulator. :mad:

It was my own fault, as the keg was still warm and apparently my check valve wasn't working- but now I chill the keg, burp, and then put on the gas at 12 psi at 40 degrees.

Back