Natural carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with natural carbing kegs using priming sugar and no CO2?

If so was it a similar mixture as would be with bottles? Or less

Thanks

I do it fairly routinely. I use about 25% less priming sugar/malt vs. bottling (.75 oz/gal) and after sealing the keg with a burst of CO2 I leave it at room temp for 10-14 days then cold crash for 48 hours.
I've also shortened the dip tubes in about half my kegs and added SS mesh screens to the ends. This helps avoid picking up sediment when you serve.
In several other kegs I've installed the Clear Beer Draught set up which avoids the need for the shortened dip tube a screen.

So this eliminates using C02 after the initial blast, correct?

Thanks

BeerSmith calculates how much sugar you should use for bottling or kegging (corn, table and DME) based on the volume you want, if you use BS. Just for reference, a pilsner recipe I have at 3 volumes for bottling is 5.8oz corn sugar. Kegging the same recipe is 2.9oz corn sugar. Half the amount for bottling. I assume the same goes for other volumes.

It does not eliminate CO2 altogether. You still need it to push the beer.

I do it fairly routinely. I use about 25% less priming sugar/malt vs. bottling (.75 oz/gal) and after sealing the keg with a burst of CO2 I leave it at room temp for 10-14 days then cold crash for 48 hours.
I've also shortened the dip tubes in about half my kegs and added SS mesh screens to the ends. This helps avoid picking up sediment when you serve.
In several other kegs I've installed the Clear Beer Draught set up which avoids the need for the shortened dip tube a screen.

How do you like that Clear Beer system? I was just looking at them.

BeerSmith calculates how much sugar you should use for bottling or kegging (corn, table and DME) based on the volume you want, if you use BS. Just for reference, a pilsner recipe I have at 3 volumes for bottling is 5.8oz corn sugar. Kegging the same recipe is 2.9oz corn sugar. Half the amount for bottling. I assume the same goes for other volumes.

It does not eliminate CO2 altogether. You still need it to push the beer.

How do you like that Clear Beer system? I was just looking at them.

They've been really great. Ive accumulated 6 over a couple of years.

Back