Natural carbonating kegs with CBC-1 or F-2 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for F-2 or CBC-1 to finish fermenting?
I've put about 1-2 grams in a 5 gallon keg together with 60 grams of sugar in order to scavenge oxygen en naturally carbonate.
I spunded but I saw very little pressure change (about 2psi in 24h)
Wondering if it's done already and I can start cold crashing.

cheers

There are so many variables that nobody can tell you how long. Thing that this depend on are the recipe for the beer, the alcohol content, temperature, pitch rate, and probably a few more.

There are so many variables that nobody can tell you how long. Thing that this depend on are the recipe for the beer, the alcohol content, temperature, pitch rate, and probably a few more.
I dont need an exact time frame and I've read they are fast fermenters. With less then 2 grams of yeast and a handfull of sugars I cant imagine this will take longer then 1 day?

I "sugar-speise" my 5gal cornys with about the same amount of sugar (approx. 1/3 of a full carbing charge). I wouldn't bother with the CBC-1 unless I made some 10%+ monster and/or it sat in the carboy for weeks and weeks, I just rely on the yeast already in the beer. I give it 3 days at room T (to be on the safe side) before putting in the keezer. Might take less time, haven't tried it.

I do purge the headspace at 30psi a few times after filling the keg. I used to monitor what happens after that with a spunding valve, but all that ever happened was that the 30psi rapidly reduced down to like 5psi, then just sat there. I don't even bother with spunding valves anymore.

I am considering upping the sugar to ~100g (about 2/3 of a charge) for about 3-4 days at room T. Still not gonna bother with the spunding valve.

I "sugar-speise" my 5gal cornys with about the same amount of sugar (approx. 1/3 of a full carbing charge). I wouldn't bother with the CBC-1 unless I made some 10%+ monster and/or it sat in the carboy for weeks and weeks, I just rely on the yeast already in the beer. I give it 3 days at room T (to be on the safe side) before putting in the keezer. Might take less time, haven't tried it.

I do purge the headspace at 30psi a few times after filling the keg. I used to monitor what happens after that with a spunding valve, but all that ever happened was that the 30psi rapidly reduced down to like 5psi, then just sat there. I don't even bother with spunding valves anymore.

I am considering upping the sugar to ~100g (about 2/3 of a charge) for about 3-4 days at room T. Still not gonna bother with the spunding valve.
I put tons of hops in there so sometimes they trigger more refermentation and the last thing I want is overcarbonated foamy beer.
Spunding is a bit of a pain indeed but it's a cheap insurance for now.
Hopefully as I get more experienced with the process I can do without them one day.

Back