Natural Carbonating a Lager in a Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbrewery

Reaction score
I normally force carb but I just brewed a lager and after fermenting for 6 weeks I decided to let it lager and settle out and so I thought it'd be better to naturally carbonate in the keg. I threw in the 4oz. of corn sugar in boiled water and threw it into my keezer. Should I pull it out and let it get up to room temp to carbonate, or will it carb up fine in the cold?

I normally force carb but I just brewed a lager and after fermenting for 6 weeks I decided to let it lager and settle out and so I thought it'd be better to naturally carbonate in the keg. I threw in the 4oz. of corn sugar in boiled water and threw it into my keezer. Should I pull it out and let it get up to room temp to carbonate, or will it carb up fine in the cold?

4 ounces of corn sugar is about twice as much as I would have used. Remember, you have much less headspace in total in a keg than you do in separate bottles. It's recommended to use half the amount that you would use for bottling. No problem, though- it's not like it'll hurt the keg. You just might have some slightly overcarbed beer. If that's the case, you can just purge it until it's right.

I'd leave it at room temperature to carb up, then move it to the keezer.

Ya know, whenever I use the "suggested" amount of priming sugar for a keg it always ends up pretty flat and I need to put it on the gas (at the proper PSI) for a week to get it to the correct CO2 volumes.

I force carb almost always but sometimes our CO2 hookups are all in use, so I naturally carb once in a while.

4 ounces of corn sugar is about twice as much as I would have used. Remember, you have much less headspace in total in a keg than you do in separate bottles. It's recommended to use half the amount that you would use for bottling. No problem, though- it's not like it'll hurt the keg. You just might have some slightly overcarbed beer. If that's the case, you can just purge it until it's right.

I'd leave it at room temperature to carb up, then move it to the keezer.

Back