Natural carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicheleE63

Reaction score
I have a 5 tap keezer and its full. My next brew is kegged (La Petite Orange Belgian Dubbel) and since my taps are full, I decided to try natural carbing it. I kegged it with the recommended amount of sugar and it's been sitting at room temp since 12/23. (About 68*) So, Saturday I'm having my first ever beer tasting party to try to get my friends drinking decent beer, and show off my keezer, and I want to have the Dubbel ready in case one of the kegs on tap kicks. I was thinking I would put the keg outside on Saturday morning to chill it. (Gonna be 36* outside) Will this work, and will it be ready? 13 days carbing....

I've done something similar; it worked for me! Have a great tasting. Orange Belgian Dubbel sounds awesome!!!

Hook the keg up to your CO2 tank's regulator and see if there's any pressure in it. If it's pressurized to 12-ish PSI when chilled, then you're good to go. If it's 2-3 PSI, then it's nowhere near ready.

Personally, I'd be surprised if it's carbed enough for consumption yet. But if you chill it ahead of time and a keg does kick, you could always hook it to your tank and shake-carb it (although that would mix your yeast back up into solution, clouding your beer).

Sounds like your plan should work. I keg condition all my beers. I avg. 14 days @ 68-79, cold crash for at least 24 hours ( more is better) then tap.
Your only problem might be a little sediment, if you haven't shortened your dip tube & put on a screen especially if you've just moved the keg.

Back