natural carbing in keg...FAIL! Fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Belgian Farmhouse Ale for my first kegging attempt. I decided upon tasting out of secondary that it needed to age a bit so I chose to natural carb in the keg. I used half the amount of corn sugar as I would have had I been bottling (per advice on forum), placed keg under ~10psi and let it sit for ~2 weeks at room temp after which I placed in keezer for chilling. I started my psi at 5 and delivery speed was great but no head or taste of carbonation really. I stepped up little by little, waiting and tasting between, and now have it at 10psi but that hasn't affected carbonation at all.

Do I need to force carb it now to get the carbonation level right? If so, a quick summary of process would be great so I don't have to go read tons of threads.
My beer line is 7' long.

One of two ways you can go about force carbing at this point.

1) Set and forget: Keep the keg at serving temperature and pressure for about a week. It will carb up.

2) The "I wanna drink it yesterday" method: With the chilled keg on its side, gas-in post up, turn your pressure up to about 25 psi and rock the keg with your foot for about a minute. Stand it back up and give it a minute to settle down. Relieve the pressure down to serving pressure and give it a pour. Repeat if more carbonation is needed. Take note that it is really easy to over-carb with this method. I normally do two minutes, but that's a keg that has not been under any gas.

Good luck.

Two weeks is a fairly short time to expect good conditioning for bottled beer. Give the keg four weeks at room temperature for natural carbonation. Give it six weeks if it is a high gravity beer.

I don't believe the half the rate for bottling for natural carbing myself. I usually naturally carb kegs with 1/2 cup of table sugar. Anywhere from 1 week to 2 months at room temperature. Less for IPAs...

It gets it close to what I like. When room in the kegerator I add the keg, burp headspace, hook up serving pressure CO2 (about 10psi), and start drinking it about a week later. Usually will continue to increase level of carb for another week then hold steady.

Homebrewdad's calculator says 0.52 cups of sucrose (table sugar) will give me 2.4 volumes in beer fermented at 68 (pretty typical for me). So using the whole amount gets me to acceptable carb...I would not argue with 2.4 but over the course of a couple weeks it increases up to what I prefer probably 2.6-2.7.

1) Set and forget: Keep the keg at serving temperature and pressure for about a week. It will carb up.

Good luck.

This sounds like my preferred method.....what pressure should I set it at?

I need to type something here so here's a random picture of a dog...

ShastaLookingAtYou.jpg

As a follow up note, the additional time in the keezer at 45F & 10psi did NOT do the trick. I pumped it up to 16psi and within 24hrs it was perfect.

Back