National Homebrewing Day - 'Big Beer' Event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adagiogray

Reaction score
CBC (Columbus Brewing Company), one of our local Columbus, OH microbreweries celebrated National Homebrew Day by giving out free wort and inviting folks to come out, setup, and brew up a batch using the wort, and do their own tweaks as far as yeast and hops. They also gave my brewing buddy and I a most excellent tour of the facility.

The suggested use is a pale ale recipe that called for WLP002 English Ale Yeast and 3.5oz Goldings with a 90 minute boil. They used 50% Pils and 50% Maris Otter for the mash, and they guessed the OG at about 1.052ish.

Well, here were my tweaks... I used WLP005 British Ale Yeast, since the LHBS ran out of the WLP002 that was bought up all the other festival goers. I used 3 oz of Kent Goldings leaf and 0.5oz of Fuggles pellet, both lowish (4.4ish) alpha acid hops.
I also decided to up the ABV and OG by adding 4 lbs of cane sugar to the boil, and tossed in Whirlfloc 15 mins before the end of boil. After the wort cooled, I took an OG reading before pitching and aeration - it was 1.086 - yowza! If I end up with a FG somewhere in the 1.012-1.014 range, I'm estimating this to finish up at about 10%, and if I dry hop it, not unlike Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.
I also didn't make a starter, I went according to the White Labs recommendations on the label and pitched the tube directly. With that high of an OG, I'm sure a second tube or a starter wouldn't have hurt, but I figure the ferment will eventually get going.

Any other thoughts on where this will end up? I'm kind of excited, as this will be my first pale ale.

I underpitched by a *lot* with only one tube of WLP005, but less than 24 hours in this bad boy was bubbling furiously (almost *too* furiously - I think it's gonna pop my airlock!), so I'm hopeful this is still going to rock on down from 1.086 to target gravity.

I wouldn't have added that much sugar. Hopefully it tastes good but it could give you cidery flavors. I wouldn't compare this beer to DFH 90 Minute in any way except maybe alcohol content. Your hops make it anything but an IPA.

Yeah, I know it's a long stretch from DFH, and the hop choices were low AA - I was thinking of dry hopping with something like cascade, but that this point, I'm already over $20 in the batch with hops alone.

I figured the wort was free, so I thought I'd try an off the wall thing with it. I just hope it ends up pale ale-ish or tripelish, and not malt liquor with a hop nose. ;)

CBC (Columbus Brewing Company), one of our local Columbus, OH microbreweries celebrated National Homebrew Day by giving out free wort and inviting folks to come out, setup, and brew up a batch using the wort, and do their own tweaks as far as yeast and hops.

This is a great idea, I would love for Kelso, Brooklyn Brewery or Six Point to do something like this.

Back