• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

National Homebrewer's Conference

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
113
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Is anyone on this board going to this other than Sam75 and myself?

Just wanted to see--maybe we could meet up.

we are leaving Thursday--staying at the hotel that the conference is in so I have a feeling its going to be UGLY.

We are signed up as stewards (in hopes of sitting by a judge and helping out with the tasting!), and we are really planning on a good time....less than 48 hours to go!!!!
 
OP
Dude

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
113
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
AFTER ACTIONS REPORT:

What a blast! Most of the events were way above my level of brewing, but it was an all around success. I had some super beer, and met some great, great people.

Highlights for me were:

1. Club night. Despite the room being 147 degrees and 850 people packed in there, it was so awesome to take it all in. The beer was flowing like you wouldn't believe. Awesome beer too.

2. Charlie Papazian, Sam Calagione, Randy Mosher, and John Palmer were strolling around and talking to you like you were thier best buddies. Papazian is a freak. Some of the guys we knew actually got to have lunch with Palmer. Can you imagine that? Beer wood.

3. Got my book signed by Sam Calagione. I got to go to his luncheon and hear him speak and see a really funny video about fighting ridiculous propaganda WITH ridiculous propoganda. In short, its about fighting recent claims form MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) that alcohol is the same as drug use. Its available right HERE and is worth a view. One of Sam's best lines during his speech was when he was talking about his Chicory Stout--he was naming off ingredients and after he said it had St. John's wort in it, he proclaimed it was the "world's first ever anti-depressant, depressant." That got a huge chuckle from the crowd.

4. Best of all, it was the people that made the whole weekend super. Sam and I hooked up with some members of a different forum and "assisted" them during club night. You wanna talk about just STUPID good beer? Wow. I think the 2 or 3 best beers I had all weekend (and I had A LOT) were at that table during club night.

5. Actually one that sticks out for me that is kind of strange is on the ride up there (about 3.5-4 hours) Sam and I quoted lines from "The Big Lebowski", and it made 30 minutes seem like 30 seconds. My cheeks were hurting after that from laughing so hard!

Anyway--next year is Orlando! I'm definitely going!!!!
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
lucky SOB's! one of the guy's in my HBC went but i haven't had a chance to talk to him yet. sounds like a fun time, and i am looking hard at Orlando next year.......
any odd beer styles or something that ya'll just have to brew next? no new gadgets???? if not, your a better man than me! i'd been goin' ape s**t over stuff like that......

Cheers!
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
9
Location
Midwest City, OK
DeRoux's Broux said:
lucky SOB's! one of the guy's in my HBC went but i haven't had a chance to talk to him yet. sounds like a fun time, and i am looking hard at Orlando next year.......
any odd beer styles or something that ya'll just have to brew next? no new gadgets???? if not, your a better man than me! i'd been goin' ape s**t over stuff like that......

Cheers!
A guy at our table at club night had a keg of coffee-toffee milk stout. Now I'm not normally a sweet stout type, but my GOD was that stuff good. Word got out fast about that stuff, and we had many folks asking for it by name. We nicknamed it the LPR (liquid panty remover). :D I'm going to try and get a recipe for it.
 

DeRoux's Broux

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
6
Location
Beaumont
that's a riot! (if you get that recipe, can you help a brew brother out!)........
does sound a little sweet????? classic stuff, classic......
 
OP
Dude

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
113
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Sam75 said:
...LPR (liquid panty remover). :D I'm going to try and get a recipe for it.

I think the recipe is going to be hard to get out of him. I heard that it was based off of a stout recipe in the Radical Brewing book (which I have, and will post the recipe), and he used vanilla flavored coffee in it. As for that toffee flavor, its still a mystery to me.
It was a winner, that's for sure.
 

Born Brewing Co.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
Sycamore, IL
Awesome, I would have love to have gone. Unfortunately, my wife didn't have the conference on my "honey do" list. :rolleyes: I'm current reading Sam Calagione's, Brewing up a Business book and would have liked to meet him. I bet I could convince the wife to go to Orlando next year. Disneyland, Epcot, Universal. WE'RE THERE!!!
 

BitterRat

Banned
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
107
Reaction score
2
Location
Earth
ORRELSE said:
AFTER ACTIONS REPORT:

What a blast! Most of the events were way above my level of brewing, but it was an all around success. I had some super beer, and met some great, great people.

Highlights for me were:

1. Club night. Despite the room being 147 degrees and 850 people packed in there, it was so awesome to take it all in. The beer was flowing like you wouldn't believe. Awesome beer too.

2. Charlie Papazian, Sam Calagione, Randy Mosher, and John Palmer were strolling around and talking to you like you were thier best buddies. Papazian is a freak. Some of the guys we knew actually got to have lunch with Palmer. Can you imagine that? Beer wood.

3. Got my book signed by Sam Calagione. I got to go to his luncheon and hear him speak and see a really funny video about fighting ridiculous propaganda WITH ridiculous propoganda. In short, its about fighting recent claims form MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) that alcohol is the same as drug use. Its available right HERE and is worth a view. One of Sam's best lines during his speech was when he was talking about his Chicory Stout--he was naming off ingredients and after he said it had St. John's wort in it, he proclaimed it was the "world's first ever anti-depressant, depressant." That got a huge chuckle from the crowd.

4. Best of all, it was the people that made the whole weekend super. Sam and I hooked up with some members of a different forum and "assisted" them during club night. You wanna talk about just STUPID good beer? Wow. I think the 2 or 3 best beers I had all weekend (and I had A LOT) were at that table during club night.

5. Actually one that sticks out for me that is kind of strange is on the ride up there (about 3.5-4 hours) Sam and I quoted lines from "The Big Lebowski", and it made 30 minutes seem like 30 seconds. My cheeks were hurting after that from laughing so hard!

Anyway--next year is Orlando! I'm definitely going!!!!
Beerwood!! Hahahahahaha, you're to funny!!! Yes, the NHBC was awesome and yes, some of the best beers were at our table!! Orrelse was funny though, every time Papazian, Palmer , Daniels, Mosher etc, walked by, he said beerwood!! :D One of the guys we were with made a bigass IPA, and had Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River Brewing try it, and Vinnie said it was a very good beer, that was pretty cool!! And Mosher tasting the Burbon Stuout we had at our table and then proceeding to tell folks to get over and try it, that was cool too!! Anyway, the whole thing was awesome, if you can , try to go to the NHBC at least once to experience it, it's worth it!! :cool:
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
9
Location
Midwest City, OK
BitterRat said:
Beerwood!! Hahahahahaha, you're to funny!!! Yes, the NHBC was awesome and yes, some of the best beers were at our table!! Orrelse was funny though, every time Papazian, Palmer , Daniels, Mosher etc, walked by, he said beerwood!! :D One of the guys we were with made a bigass IPA, and had Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River Brewing try it, and Vinnie said it was a very good beer, that was pretty cool!! And Mosher tasting the Burbon Stuout we had at our table and then proceeding to tell folks to get over and try it, that was cool too!! Anyway, the whole thing was awesome, if you can , try to go to the NHBC at least once to experience it, it's worth it!! :cool:
Ted???????
 
Top