Nasty looking ring in carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlabonte96

Reaction score
So I transferred my beer into the secondary carboy, and added the chinook hops as the recipe called for. I haven’t checked it since Monday and now I have a nasty looking ring on the top. I’m going to attach a picture. I had moved the carboy and it made some of it fall to the bottom, so that’s what all the cloudyness is because it wasn’t like that until I disturbed the carboy.
IMG_4764.jpg

Is this normal?

That's totally normal and a good sign of a good healthy fermentation. The ring is called the Krausen.

So that is in secondary? It looks like a normal krausen but you shouldn't have that in a secondary. Did you wait until the fermentation finished before transferring to secondary? If it is not krausen it could be hops floating on the surface but I would think they would look more green.

Relax. This is either krausen (indicating that fermentation was not complete) or, more likely, just hops floating. Either way this is not an issue.

So that is in secondary? It looks like a normal krausen but you shouldn't have that in a secondary. Did you wait until the fermentation finished before transferring to secondary? If it is not krausen it could be hops floating on the surface but I would think they would look more green.

Yes it is secondary. And I waited 2 weeks and 2 days and the fg was 1.11 and I assumed it was done fermenting. I added the hops when I Transferred it. I assumed they would sort of mix in instead of just floating ontop

Yes it is secondary. And I waited 2 weeks and 2 days and the fg was 1.11 and I assumed it was done fermenting. I added the hops when I Transferred it. I assumed they would sort of mix in instead of just floating ontop
Are you sure that gravity reading is right? 1.11 would seem like more of an OG for a rather large beer. Could it have been 1.011? Was there a lot of junk floating in your hydrometer tube that may have caused it to float a bit higher?

What kind of beer did you make? 1.011 might be totally reasonable FG for certain styles, and either a bit too sweet or too dry for others. Otherwise, it looks delicious to me!

Back