Nasty green foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
I just added bittering hops and I have some really gross-looking green foam... normal?

Do I need to stir still while it boils?

It is normal...by the time you get to reading this they pretty much just fell into the wort along with the hot break...

Just relax, this is like cooking, NOT brain surgery...everything is fine...

Haha great thanks. You were right, all gone now.

Next issue, I think my fermenter bucket has a small leak... about one drop every minute or so. I sanitized my hand and dunked it in the water (which is friggin HOT still) and tried to tighten the spigot... hopefully that will stop the leak.

Do I need to stir still, or just watch it for boil-overs?

Haha great thanks. You were right, all gone now.

Next issue, I think my fermenter bucket has a small leak... about one drop every minute or so. I sanitized my hand and dunked it in the water (which is friggin HOT still) and tried to tighten the spigot... hopefully that will stop the leak.

Do I need to stir still, or just watch it for boil-overs?

Just watch it. The rolling boil will stir it for you.

Well I put the lid on (mistake!) and it boiled over in like 1 minute. Spilled everywhere, although I don't think I lost too much... maybe 1/2 gallon... Kinda sucks to lose that beer though.

Well I put the lid on (mistake!) and it boiled over in like 1 minute. Spilled everywhere, although I don't think I lost too much... maybe 1/2 gallon... Kinda sucks to lose that beer though.

You learned something though and that is always worth a small mistake! :)

I'm going to guess this is an extract batch so you don't really need to worry about DMS, but when you go AG there is a good reason to not cover...other than the now obvious boil overs.

Back