Nasty Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
Had this happen this weekend for the first time. I had a pretty big beer in my carboy (in the spirit of Jacktheknifes 9 lb hammer, it was more like 11lb hammer) All went well in the primary for about 10 days, racked to the secondary and left for about 3 weeks. I went to bottle it and I always lift the carboy up and set on the counter to rack into the bottling bucket. When I did this, it shook things up a tad and siome n.a.s.t.y. floaties came to the top. It reminded me of tofu. :eek: I already had everything ready to bottle and I didn't want a lot of time to go by (allow it to settle) as I didn't want to worry about the sanitized bottles. I should have moved the carboy the night before to allow things to settle things out. Just curious for those who have done big beers. Any tofu like substances? It smelled and tasted grea(the beer, not the tofu) so I'm not too concerned about an infection.

loop

I saw some of that from my big stout- I let it settle out again, and it was fine. Other than the harshness of being an immature big stout, there were no off or rancid flavors associated with any of the debris.

it's fine. just settled out trub from secondary action that got stirred up when you moved it to bottle. no worries!

Sediment sure has lots of CO2 trapped in it. I see that when I rinse the sediment out of the bottles- I hold it under the tap to get a few ounces of water in, then shake it. It sure looks like foamy beer when I pour the rinse out, it even makes pressure against my thumb. I'm surprisd that it ever settles in secondary.

I had a recent batch give me one bad bottle. The beer was milky and foamy with only a little off taste. Both bottle and glass looked like crud. One bottle out of 54 lost still isn't bad. Problem was I deviated from my normal cleaning and sanitizing procedure on a few bottles. I had cleaned and sanitized 50 normal and found myself 4 short. So I got careless on doing the unexpected four.

Ditto that, Ghengis. Now I visually inspect every bottle. I've got all keg stuff, except the volume usage. I't s abitch to haul a keg when a six pack will do.

Back