Nashoba Valley Home Brewers (MA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whosradl

Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations Nashoba Valley Home Brewers,

My name is Niles and I'm looking for home brewers (new or seasoned) in the Nashoba Valley area around Stow, MA (where I live) who may be interested in starting a local home-brew club to share in this great hobby that we love. I started home-brewing about four years ago and, like many, have caught the itch. I'm wanting to get more honest feedback from those who understand that, just because most of this beer will go to friends and family, I don't want people always to say "this is good." I don't have a extremely well laid out plan for this club yet, but I hope it can be a collaboration effort with anyone who is interested in making this a reality.

Additionally, if you are dialed in to your brewing setup and are just looking to save on bulk raw ingredients (hops, yeast, and malt), I recently started my own side homebrew supply business, and have a wholesaler relationship with BSG, YVH, and Imperial Yeast (although this is really only worth it in very bulk orders at this point because of shipping costs). I believe brewing was always meant to be communal, and being able to help those local to me get the ingredients they want for less makes me feel like I'm building community.

If you want to reach out via this forum, or send me a PM, I'd love to connect. Cheers!

Before anyone says "Hey - 'Trippr's from Stow" - I've already met Niles, and picked up a couple of bags of grain from him on his visit to my brewery.

Good guy - I think we should keep him :D

Cheers!

If anyone in the Nashoba Valley, Metro West area of Boston, or really anywhere reasonably drivable from Stow, MA is looking to save some money buying some grains, DME, dry yeast packets, or hops I'm putting together an order through BSG in the next couple weeks (ordering by 11/18/19). They offer most of their grains in 1, 10, and 50/55 lb sacks, DME in 1, 3, and 50/55 lb bags, and hops in 1 oz, 8 oz, or full lb increments. They offer dry yeast from most of the major manufacturers (Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove Jack, etc).

You won't see prices since one can only do that with an account with them, but here are links to their webpages for grains, DME, hops, and dry yeast to check out what they have:
https://bsghandcraft.com/malt-grains
https://bsghandcraft.com/malt-extracts
https://bsghandcraft.com/hops
https://bsghandcraft.com/yeast

If you're interested, please direct message me and we can work together to figure out what's best for you. I don't mind working out driving and meeting somewhere and love the opportunity to meet other local home brewers. Cheers!

fwiw, unless you're hooked up with a brewery you won't find better prices. I'm going for six bags (2 each GP, Weyermann pilsner and Breiss two row) so join the party and save a bunch...

Cheers!

If anyone is interested, I'm looking to put together a bulk order to buy from Valley Malt in Hadley, MA (http://valleymalt.com/malts) to support local small craft businesses and help out any local home brewers who need grains during this time. I plan on going to pick up the order myself (granted it's not catastrophically large!), and can even work with anyone who needs help with delivery to your door (within reason). I'm attaching their pricing sheet here. If anyone is interested, please direct message me, and we can figure something out! Cheers!

Attachments

• VM-MaltPricing-2019-4.pdf (1).pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 29
Sorely tempted, as they are just up the road north of me here in Western MA, but I have to hold off to see how the employment disruption unfolds. Thanks for the offer.

I'm a couple towns away and will watch the thread. I was at a point of moving to a brew rig and never got to it but this may kick me into gear.

Sounds great! I’ve had a couple others reach out on different forums, so I’ll update this thread when I have a good sense of how many want in. Cheers!

If anyone is interested, I'm looking to put together a bulk order to buy from Valley Malt in Hadley, MA (http://valleymalt.com/malts) to support local small craft businesses and help out any local home brewers who need grains during this time. I plan on going to pick up the order myself (granted it's not catastrophically large!), and can even work with anyone who needs help with delivery to your door (within reason). I'm attaching their pricing sheet here. If anyone is interested, please direct message me, and we can figure something out! Cheers!

The order will be placed on Wednesday April 8th at noon, so if you, or anyone you know is interested, please direct message me your order, and we can work out drop off and payment. Cheers!

I currently have base malt for 4 batches lined up, so not right now. However, in the future I would be interested, being my LHBS (Strange Brew) closed down recently.
I'm on the Framingham / Sudbury line, and work in Marlboro, so it would be convenient.

I know! I’ve been bummed since NFG Homebrew and Strange Brew have closed. I’ll keep you posted if other orders get put together either with Valley Malt, or elsewhere. Cheers!

I miss Fran and Nancy.

How frequently do you buy? Would like to do some lagering for Oktoberfest.

This is the first time I've reached out to Valley Malt, but have probably done other trips down to BSG Handcraft in Warwick, RI once a year or so. For me it's typically based on demand from those that reach out to me, and what my brewing needs are at the time. If you're interested in getting in on the Valley Malt order this week, please let me know before Wednesday at noon. Cheers!

Have you contacted Stone Path Malting?
They're in Wareham, so a bit further away.
They're pretty new to the malting scene, just a year or two old.

Have you contacted Stone Path Malting?
They're in Wareham, so a bit further away.
They're pretty new to the malting scene, just a year or two old.

I've used their stuff before and like it, but I've contacted them in the past, though not recently, and they recommended me get it from Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn (beer-wine.com). I've never used Valley Malt before, but love the local breweries that use their products. That and I don't think I've ever seen their products in a LHBS, so that's why I thought of them first.

Niles, you can put me down for a bag of their two-row pale.
And try to carve out a spot of time to riff through my taps when you get here :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
at one time Beerology in Northampton carried some Valley Malt malts but I've not visited in a few months

Niles dropped off a bag of Valley Malt two-row pale malt this afternoon - in a highly safe and sanitary set of maneuvers (obviously bagged the idea of serving him a flight :)) and I am struck by the crazy strong aroma emanating from the still-sealed bag. It's like a bakery in the brew space right now - smells fabulous!

This is the first Valley Malt for me and I'm presuming I'm smelling a whole lot of freshness. If I hadn't just filled my last free chamber with fermenting beer two days ago I'd brew up a single-grain something with this tomorrow just on principle to keg some of this intense character, but it'll have to keep for a couple of weeks...

Cheers! (And thanks, Niles! :mug:)

I know it's only been 5-6 weeks, @day_trippr , but due to current circumstances my "brewery" is shuttered so I have to live vicariously through the accomplishments of others -- have you brewed with the Valley Malt and did the angles weep and maple stump self grind at the result?

at one time Beerology in Northampton carried some Valley Malt malts but I've not visited in a few months

This is still true. I've recently had Valley Malt 2-row, pale, warthog wheat, crystal oats and maybe some others from there.

I'm not discerning/experienced enough to discrimate on taste and quality, but I always prefer the Valley product if they have it or a reasonable substitute for what's in my recipe in order to support the local business. And I've been very happy with the results.

Sorry about your situation, get back to it soon!
I did indeed do a SMASH wcipa with Cascade, end of kegging sample tasted great. It's on gas just waiting for something in the keezer to kick.

Two things worth mentioning should you come across their pale malt: it runs at least a full point darker than expected; and the kernels needed a tighter crush than my normal .032" CK gap for barley, so run a pound through and check the crush...

Cheers!

Sorry about your situation, get back to it soon!
I did indeed do a SMASH wcipa with Cascade, end of kegging sample tasted great. It's on gas just waiting for something in the keezer to kick.

Two things worth mentioning should you come across their pale malt: it runs at least a full point darker than expected; and the kernels needed a tighter crush than my normal .032" CK gap for barley, so run a pound through and check the crush...

Cheers!

My work had furloghed half, and the couple remaining were given a -20% pay "change", hence my belt tightening. They've just restored my pay, haven't changed the overwork-for-those-furloughed situation, but I'm going to brew this weekend, a no-wheat variant of @Braufessor 's hoppy session wheat and I am so excited. It's been ages since I've brewed. Epochs of time. Okay, since March 14. But with tennis finally back on, the thirsty fuzzy ball swatters are back at it and I hate to disappoint and I'm down to 1/2 keg each of a kolsch and an altbier.

The time has come for my somewhat annual bulk ingredient buy from BSG Handcraft. Looking to see if any other local home brewers are looking to stock up and if I can assist. If anyone anywhere reasonably drivable from Stow, MA is looking to save some money buying some grains, DME, dry yeast packets, or hops I'm putting together an order through BSG in the next couple weeks (ordering by 2/3/21). They offer most of their grains in 1, 10, and 50/55 lb sacks, DME in 1, 3, and 50/55 lb bags, and hops in 1 oz, 8 oz, or full lb increments. They offer dry yeast from most of the major manufacturers (Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove Jack, etc).

You won't see prices since one can only do that with an account with them, but here are links to their webpages for grains, DME, hops, and dry yeast to check out what they have:
Malt - Grains | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew
Malt - Extract | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew
Hops | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew
Yeast | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew

If you're interested, please PM me and we can work together to figure out what's best for you. I don't mind working out driving and meeting somewhere and will take necessary COVID precautions. Cheers!

Just a reminder that there's just about a week till I place the order with BSG if anyone else is wanting to get in on it. Cheers!

Hello fellow Nashoba Valley brewers!
I've gotten some interest in another brewing ingredients run, so wanted to reach out here again to see if anyone had any ingredient needs. In case anyone is reading this for the first time and doesn't want to scroll through the comments here's a recap.

If anyone anywhere reasonably drivable from central MA is looking to save some money buying some grains, DME, dry yeast packets, or hops I'm putting together an order through BSG in the next couple weeks. They offer most of their grains in 1, 10, and 50/55 lb sacks, DME in 1, 3, and 50/55 lb bags, and hops in 1 oz, 8 oz, or full lb increments. They offer dry yeast from most of the major manufacturers (Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove Jack, etc).

Malt - Grains | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew
Malt - Extract | Welcome | BSG HandCraft | Wholesale Brewing Supplies For Homebrew

If you're interested, please DM me and we can work together to figure out what's best for you. I don't mind working out driving and meeting somewhere. Cheers!

I’m looking to place the order on Sept 20th and will pickup on Sept 23rd. Please let me know if you’d like to get in on the order before then. Cheers!

Hello fellow Nashoba Valley Home Brewers!
I've gotten some interest in another brewing ingredients run for before the end of the year (2023), so wanted to reach out here again to see if anyone had any ingredient needs. In case anyone is reading this for the first time and doesn't want to scroll through the comments here's a recap.

If anyone anywhere reasonably drivable from central MA is looking to save some money buying some grains, DME, dry yeast packets, or hops I'm putting together an order through BSG in the next couple weeks. They offer most of their grains in 1, 10, and 50/55 lb sacks, DME in 1, 3, and 50/55 lb bags, and hops in 1 oz, 8 oz, or full lb increments. They offer dry yeast from most of the major manufacturers (Fermentis, Lallemand, Mangrove Jack, etc).

If you're interested, please DM me and we can work together to figure out what's best for you. I don't mind working out driving and meeting somewhere. Cheers!

Back