Naming your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justabrewin

Reaction score
From what I understand, brewers take pride in naming their homebrews. (Correct me if I am wrong). My buddy and I were having a conversation about what to name my Double IPA and my Raspberry Wheat.

What are some names you have come up with for your beers?

What should I call my Double IPA and my Raspberry Wheat?

I focused on a topic that appealed to me: the Old West. Most of my recipes have one-word, old west, darkly religious names. I don't name each brew, I name my recipes.

Back in my college days, I had a beer called PABS which stood for Pink Ass Baboon Beer. It got it's name because at a seafood boil, a good friend brought a girl he just started dating and she had too many of my home brews and said her lips got numb. She then said something like, "this beer could put some pink in a baboons ass". We laughed but she didn't get asked for a second date. :drunk:
We made so much fun of this girl that it stuck. He even had some t-shirts made up for me the a pic of a baboon and the initials, PABS below.
Hey, we were young and stupid.....now I'm older and more stupid.

I name some, some I don't

A lot come from brew dates or events.

Fool Pale Ale... brewed on April Fools day
Super Moon Amber... Brewed on the day of the super moon.
Armageddon Blonde.. day the world was supposed to end.
Faultline Stout... fermenting when the earthquake hit the East Coast

Others just names that struck me

Crazy Belgian in the Attic... fermented on the third floor of my house and it just went crazy for weeks.

Lights Out Ale... Black IPA

Celebration Saison...brewed for a family get together.

Those are just a few I can think of now.

I've only done two beers so far. A pale ale, and a wheat for the SWMBO. The Pale Ale is called Pelican Pale Ale because I used to live on Topsail Island with my best friend who painted me this awesome water color on a pizza box of a pelican when i was forced to move. This picture is now the center piece of my house.

The wheat I named Pelican Panty Dropper. :)

Usually what ever makes me laugh at the time someone is trying it. Names never stick for me, it's more fun to see what we come up with each time.

Most recent fav's have been Charlie Brown, A Belgium Nit Wit, Super Hoppy Fun Time Ale, Stumble Juice- the Thirst Quinchifier (brewed at Inebriated State University on my enable table).

As for what you should name yours- stick to what you like. If you and your friends are deep and meaningful then make it meaningful. My friends and I love to laugh so it's pretty much a toss in the hat.

I'm trying to perfect a house brew that's approachable to the masses so all my cream ales, kolsch and the like are called Suicide Blonde. I've had a few brown ale recipes that I've named Atomic Brown. Everything else is called whatever they are, like Broken City Pale Ale, Broken City IPA, etc. (Broken City is what I call my brewery).

I brewed an oatmeal stout 2 weeks ago. I called it Standin' Tall Stout. It was cold outside. SWMBO came out to the garage. I looked at her chest and came up with the name.

I think a lot about the name, because usually that means I am trying to think a lot about the beer, doing research on what they should taste like, what the "originals" tasted like and then where I want to go.

First brew: 90 minute NAPA

90 minute boil of some type of IPA...the recipe has changed so many times I'm not even sure it fits into a category at this moment

Second: Praotec Czech (prounounced Pray-o te Czech)

A Bohemian pilsner, losely translates to the forefather of Czech but is mythologically seen as one of the first kings of Bohemia, brewed with traditional bohemian spices

Third: Cú Roí

An irish red with noble hops (recipe down, haven't brewed yet) based around the mythological first irish king of Munster, which is the region of Cork today, where my heritage comes from

Guess I focus on history, I have other names already in place for other brews...in some cases I get the name before I get the brew...go figure

I just started brewing. My first batch is a pale ale. When we first got my wife's dog, the vet said she had unusually long legs for a cocker. Since she is buff colored and my wife is blonde, she said "now you have two long legged blondes in the house". I was playing around on beerlabelizer.com and added a picture of the dog on an air mattress in our pool, then the name hit me Long Legged Blonde Pale Ale.
Have 7 year old twins too, so I'm thinking one of my future batches will have to be a doppelbock with their picture on it.

I use Urbandictionary.com to come up my names. My Strawberry Blonde is called a Strawberry Blumpkin, Pale Ale is called Pastry Henry, and my Watermelon Wheat was called Pink Abyss(I won't put the definitions of those names on here since they are all a tad inappropriate :) ) I have named all 24 or 25 of my batches this way. It makes for fun conversation while drinking with friends. :mug:

I have only named one of my beers, an APA I call Tornado Warning. This past April I was brewing on the stove top while the tornado sirens went off for about an hour and a half. I wasn't about to stop brewing.

Back