Name that Yeast - an request for Yeast detectives everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawkraut

Reaction score
OK, I can't figure this one out and need some help. I'm trying to identify a proper yeast strain that will match this general description, which I was provided during the course of research recently conducted on a recipe I'm about to brew.

The description:

Use a high flocculating English strain that you ferment at 65 degrees. You need to achieve 75% attenuation. This yeast will not provide much of an ester profile and it should contribute a nice bready flavor to this malty beer [a stout]. It's best to overpitch this yeast a little, without overdoing it.

The journey:
I've been through all the Wyeast and White Labs products, but just can't seem to put my finger on a proper yeast variety that matches the description above.

Please help!

My shot would be WY1968 London Ale but fermented at the lower end of temperature for the yeast to eliminate some of the typical ester profile. I would assume White labs equal would do the same.

Have you tried contacting their support people, both companies are extremely helpful and very responsive to homebrewer inquiries.

Pretty easy, actually. Wyeast 1098 fits that description to a "T" when fermented cool with a high pitch rate; 75%+ attenuation and good flocculation, clean with bready malt. Although you really need to ferment this yeast on the cooler side, lest it produce a ton of fruity and (frankly) disgusting tangy esters. Pitch around 62F and don't let it get much higher than 65F.

Also, you could get an equally similar profile with Nottingham, although low temps are required here as well. I also know a few proprietary strains that fit that description, but they would be much harder to get a hold of.

Thank you very much. So WLP007 would be the equivalent of WY1098 if I understand correctly - seems to be some confusion on the forum about this conversion, but the term "dry" in descriptions for each of these yeasts seals that inference up for me...

Latest posts

Back