Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

InspectorJon

Reaction score
The clue must be over my head. I have never been to the UK. I kind of wanted to say Downton Abbey. Looks like the estate house of one of the royals.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One last clue: there used to be a four-story snakes and ladders board (that was the premise of a kids TV show starring a spitting dog) just to the right of the picture:

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Covid ruined my plans to visit the Windsor brewery.
Fortunately, I was working in Santa Barbara in summer 2019 so I made a few trips up there to stock up. Everyone (rightly, imho) raves about Pliny, but their barrel-aged beers are fantastic as well. I'm also a big fan of STS Pils. On one trip, I was lucky enough be there on a Sunday morning to get a one-on-one tour from one of the brewers (not Vinnie, though).

My only complaint about Russian River is that it's Pl-IN-ee, not Pl-EYE-nee :)

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was enjoying my first-ever bottle of Pliny the Elder as I posted, so I figured Russian River was appropriate. I traded with another HBT'er out that way. He sent me a six of Pliny and a few other RR brews, including a Consecration. The Pliny absolutely lives up to the hype, and I say without hesitation that it's the best beer I've ever tasted. I can't wait to try the Consecration!

You're up, @duncan.brown

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I claim that there's a connection from the last picture to this one (but I'm probably the only person in the world who would know what it is, so no clue there...)

image.jpg

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
I didn't answer Alton Towers as it was too easy for someone who'd grown up not that far away, and my dad had some professional dealings with them. This one's tougher - the landscaping looks very British, and that's supported by what looks like a Brodie helmet on what's presumably a war memorial. But I really don't recognise the orange stone, it's not from anywhere I've lived.

Clearly dates from after the repeal of the window tax, which was mid-19th century - but perhaps not much afterwards, part of the kickback against it? Those big windows feel like a school or hospital more than a council building.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Northern_Brewer is definitely on the right track. The right-hand side is the original facade from 1866-7. The left-hand side had an extra story added. Here's what the building used to look like before the modifications.
building.jpg

Last edited:

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having perused "The building magnesian limestones of the British Isles," a document that I never though that I would read, as well as a second document that I can't cite without giving away the answer, I now think that the stone is more likely to be Cadeby Formation building limestone from its the southernmost outcrop. This produces yellow-brown to orange, coarsely crystalline limestones with thin, discontinuous, pale greenish-grey clay seams. This stone was much in demand in the 1800s for housing, churches, schools and factories.