Name that Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiln

Reaction score
What are some your favorite names for your homebrews?

What are some your favorite names for your homebrews?
Ive only named a couple .
American Honey Brown Ale. self explanatory
Roll Tide Red Old ale -my first scratch built recipe ,turned out perfect- taste ,color ,abv.
Orange Bowl hybrid ale(pale ale brewed ,changed a couple ingredients and used lager yeast)- current brew in the fermenter now.

“Labor Day IPA”. You can guess what day in 2017 I brewed it. I always make IPA’s and typically just name them by date. Makes it easier if I just want to go back to “the last one I made, or the one before that”

IPA made for a friend's birthday (at the time, he was going through a LOT of girlfriends) named it Hairy Manwhore IPA

My wife and daughters (legal drinking age) are big Harry Potter fans so I made a Sirius Black IPA and a Dobby House Ale.

We had to put down our bulldog the summer before last so I made a Bulldog Slobber (it was an English ale). I also tweaked the same recipe and used Rye. Another of our dogs is named Riley so I called that one Ryely ESB.

I try and have some fun with the names!

I'm a music fan. I like playing guitar and drums . So my beers have either a song or musical term .
Hefy - metal- weizen (Hefeweizen)
Dbl roll choc milk stout
Hazed and confused ( NEIPA)
whammy bar red ale
4 on the floor Roktoberfest

I name all of mine, but I'd say my favorite is 'Redrum-a Murderous Red Rye Ale'. A bit long to get on a label, but I always chuckle when I crack one open.

I do a Rye Black IPA , I call Night Rye’der. I think it’s one of my more clever ones.
4707ECA9-1315-4DAB-8D01-B98D16FE3C05.jpeg

Last edited:
I am generally not too clever with the names, but I have already pre-named my next red ale "Computer Blue," a reference to the Dave Chapelle/Prince basketball skit. A bit ironic...clever enough for me and two of my friends that watched the Chapelle Show.

One of my favorite names is Thank the Day IPA. Figured it was a good nighttime beer when the kids are in bed and I can sit and stare at the wall and reflect on another day-in-the-life of bobeer. It's also of my favorite New Riders of the Purple Sage tunes!

I once did a beer with two revival ingredents: Cheveliar Malt and Ernest hops. One suggestion was "The Importance of Being Knight Rider" because of the play "Importance of Being Ernest" and the fact that a Cheveliar is a Knight. But then stuck with just "The Importance of Being" as they were both beer ingredients not used since the early 1900s, and were they not in existence, the beer would not have been!

Here's some of mine. I think I liked Ugly Duckling about the best, beer was great too.

Wits End (obviously a Wit)
Ugly Duckling (NEIPA)
Insomnihop (black IPA, 1st batch)
Two Left Feet (Golden Strong, because that's how you'd walk after a few of these)
Maine Squeeze (NEIPA)
Yes Dear (Saison brewed for my wife)
Ichabod's Pie (Pumpkin Ale)

First and only comp entry won 1st place in the Wild American Ale category:

Boca Raton Sour

tastes like Florida weather in upstate NY, and in homage to this song:

No. It was an all-grain recipe. Came in 3rd with it, made me really happy since it was in the American IPA
052FC473-50D0-4591-97E6-EDCE10384127.png

I've had quite a few names that I really liked. Some examples:

"Bitter Cold on the Frozen Tundra" - I brewed this IPA in my garage when it was snowing and about 2 degrees F outside. I had a chilling SNAFU so it took much longer to chill than expected, which led to excessive isomerization of late boil and FO hops and made it a bit more bitter than expected. My BIL and I froze our butts off brewing that. Really good beer though.

"Frau Meow" - I have a cat that meows with a gutteral ending that reminds me of some German words that sound like someone is clearing their throat (think how "Frau Blücher" is pronounced in Young Frankenstein). I said she meowed with a german accent. When my daughter wanted me to name a beer after her, I called if Frau Meow.

"Brut Flutin' Boogie" - my brut IPA. It had a champagne type feel to it, so I joked about drinking it from a champagne flute. The name came from that, combined with a country song titled "Boot Scootin' Boogie".

I had a series of NEIPAs with the same grain bill, just different hops. All were named an animal in the name where the animal had some relation to where one or more of the hops were from:
Platypus Venom - Australian hops
Armadillo Juice - Amarillo hops
Honey Badger IPA - added gambrinous honey malt

Last edited:
My Cream Ale is "Party Beer" I tend to make it for parties, since it's cheaper than buying them all bud light.

My double chocolate oatmeal stout had a name, but I forgot it??

Slippery Slope - NEIPA. My brew buddy fell down an icy hill while trying to view a waterfall in the Winter a few days after brewing.

Scientific Method - NEIPA. My brew buddy and I are both Biology majors, and his kids were listening to this awful science song that repeated "Scientific Method" over and over the day we brewed. I can't find it on YouTube, but you wouldn't want to hear it :p

Against the Elements - NEIPA. We used to brew and every 3rd week keg. However, due to the Elements being Against us, we had to postpone kegging for almost 2 weeks.

Moscoe aka Vlad Putin - NEIPA. Mosaic Simcoe, self explanatory.

Today I brewed a beer that I call 8MFERs ESB. One of my old Army buddies always talked about getting drunker than 8 motherf****rs, so this beer is a tribute to him. He's been sober for 3 years, so he'll never get to taste it.

Almost forgot. I did a 2gallon batch of a cider back in 2017 that I called "That F***in Cider", because almost everything that could go wrong with the early fermentation did. Turned out OK in the end.

I am generally not too clever with the names, but I have already pre-named my next red ale "Computer Blue," a reference to the Dave Chapelle/Prince basketball skit. A bit ironic...clever enough for me and two of my friends that watched the Chapelle Show.

Brewed with the waters of lake Minnetonka, served best with pancakes lol. Such a great episode of the best TV series ever...

I seem to only name my more memorable (or forgettable due to ABV) batches. My favorite batch was dubbed the 'Bob Ross Brown' ale because it was a 'happy little accident'. I was pretty well lit while heating strike water, couldn't remember ANY of the hop schedule other than I completely messed it up and it was fantastic :D happy little accident...only problem is I can't ever make it again!

Also, in my quests to make a tropical Stout similar to Lion Stout (so far not to my satisfaction) I named one "Clarence Stout" , named for Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion. And another I named Tommy Atkins because I added papaya and my research said that is the name of the most common papaya sold in the US. The Tommy Atkins earned a 43 at a competition, but it ain't Lion Stout. My White Whale. Wait a minute, if I ever get it right that will be the name!

I once did a beer with two revival ingredents: Cheveliar Malt and Ernest hops. One suggestion was "The Importance of Being Knight Rider" because of the play "Importance of Being Ernest" and the fact that a Cheveliar is a Knight. But then stuck with just "The Importance of Being" as they were both beer ingredients not used since the early 1900s, and were they not in existence, the beer would not have been!
I like it. But be careful. That's enough pretentiousness to get Hill Farmstead looking at you with that evil eye.

I have one recipe that I plan on brewing every year for my younger brother that I call “pig beer”. It is an all smoked malt beer that started from a drunken text conversation with him about some of my very first homebrew that I gave him for Christmas last year. The inspiration came from emojis (his favorite is the pig [emoji241]) so [emoji241] [emoji481] it must be. He really liked the first iteration.

I have an IPA called WHAT'S THE SAFE WORD.....I also did a hefewiezen when Hugh Hefner passed as a tribute I called it 91 BUNNIES HUGH'S HEFNERWIEZEN

My first brew I named "The Cat ale" say it fast.
I have six cats in my house. My Wifi is The Cattery.

I do a bock on 12/31 as my last brew of the year. Name it the # of the batch, so this year's was 'Batch 135 Bock'.
Also did a Barleywine as my 100th batch. Named it 'Batch 100 Barleywine'. Innovative, ain't it.

I did one called Terrapin Station American Pale Ale. Even made a cool label for it. The Dead Heads in the group would love it.

Brewed with the waters of lake Minnetonka, served best with pancakes lol. Such a great episode of the best TV series ever...

I seem to only name my more memorable (or forgettable due to ABV) batches. My favorite batch was dubbed the 'Bob Ross Brown' ale because it was a 'happy little accident'. I was pretty well lit while heating strike water, couldn't remember ANY of the hop schedule other than I completely messed it up and it was fantastic :D happy little accident...only problem is I can't ever make it again!

I'm glad you appreciate the reference. Maybe it's not a bad idea to use Chappelle references for brews..."Ashy Larry Blonde," "Clayton Bigsby Brown." I may be onto something...haha. Love the Bob Ross Brown. I'm betting if you brew the same brew day (consumption-wise) you might end up with a brew somewhere in the ballpark...haha.

Then there's my absolute favorite- 'Gunslinger Cranberry Graf'. The Gunslinger and Graf reference will only be obvious to fans of Stephen King's Gunslinger series. And the cranberry- well it needed something a little bit extra.
Now, I'm finished with hogging up the thread.
JimRMaine out.....

I have a neighbor that likes my rye pale ale so much he asks if I have any "My Rye". He believed that it was a commercial beer because the first time he tried it, I offered him a choice of one of the two beers I had on tap, my rye, or Labbatt's. He told me it had to come from a craft brewery because "you can't keg beer at home." His own words. I had to show him the kegs before he believed I actually made it myself.

Back