Name that brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devinv

Reaction score
Ok, so about a month and a half ago I dove into all grain, not knowing what I wanted to make I pretty much plugged stuff into brew smith and gave it a go.

Now that I have this beer that is a huge hit with my friends, family and coworkers, they ask what style is it and I really don't have an answer.

Not shown is I added vanilla beans during primary. Also 1.065og, 22.5ibu, 25.1srm. FG ended up at 1.015

So any ideas on what style this is related to or is it some kind of bastard brew?

Screenshot_2014-08-15-12-47-28.jpg

First of all it would be Belgian due to the yeast choice (I love that strain BTW). For category I would say Dubbel, based on the gravity and dark color. Not strong enough to be a Dark Strong/Quad. Does seem to be missing the classic Dubbel ingredients of Special B and Dark Candy Syrup, but Dubbel is my first inclination.

That said Vanilla, Coriander, and Orange Peel are not usually present in a Dubbel, so maybe Belgian Specialty Ale (BJCP Cat 16E) is more appropriate.

It doesn't seem to fit nicely in a style, so call it a Specialty Beer!

Belgians don't believe in styles anyhow, just wonderful beers.

Back