Naked City's Une Terreur Sainte

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
While in Denver I was given a bottle of Une Terreur Sainte, a Chardonnay Oaked Tripel, brewed by our own Brewtopia and the good folks at Naked City. I have been saving this for an occation to open and sample and today is the day. I suppose this is a test of both the beer and my gluten intolerance. So, here we go.

CIMG2343.jpg

As you can see the packaging is fantastic. The back label says, “By supervising the running of the brewery the brewers at Naked City guarantee that this beer brewed in the style of the Trappist Monasteries of Belgium is a high quality beer. Une Terreur Sainte (A Holy Terror) uses only natural spring water, malt, hops, and candy. Once primary fermentation is complete, 2 oz. of Chardonnay soaked French oak cubes are added and the beer goes through a secondary fermentation process. Une Terreur Sainte is a bottle conditioned beer and can be aged up to 2 years.” The bottle is dated 02/04/07.

I will now open the bottle and get back to you…

I'd like to hear from brewtopia about the chardonnay/oaking process, I am in the planning stages of doing a chardonnay/oaked belgian golden strong ale.

The cage and cork came off with a gentle pop and the beer poured remarkably clear considering I have had it stored on its side. Full carbonation produced a large and rocky head which settled nicely into a floating lace.

CIMG2346.jpg

The aroma of the Chardonnay is very present at first and melts into the rich malt tones as the beer settles. Caramel and sugar is up front with fruit, wine and vanilla in the back. Expected tripple characters are balanced and compliment the alcohol. The alcohol seems "hot" but will mellow with time and aging.

Spitzy on the tongue with a slight heat from the 13% alcohol. Very rich with oak tannins providing a counter to the sweetness from the sugar, malt and alcohol. Malty, oaked finish with the unmistakable Chardonnay berry flavor under. Belgium characters are present but subduded as I would expect for the style and personally prefer. Hops are not noticable but from the balance are obviously there to add to the complexity and are well balanced with the tannins from the oak. The lingering finish is wine like and just as it began, it finishes with tones of Chardonnay.

Brewtopia, this is a magnificent beer. Very nicely designed and carried through in production. Very drinkable for such a young triple, it will be amazing as it ages further. It is rich but not syrupy sweet. I will take a case for the cellar!

Thank you for sharing. This beer exceeds my expectations, but I am not surprised. Seattle will be lucky to have the Naked City Brewery in commercial operation.

Wow - that really looks impressive. I'd buy that if it were on the shelf at my liquor store

rdwj said:
Wow - that really looks impressive. I'd buy that if it were on the shelf at my liquor store

Totally...it looks like it could have come right off the shelf. Excellent looking work!

Wow, thanks BP for the great review. One thing I've found with the bottles I've opened is that the carbonation level had been inconsistent. Some bottles weren't carbed at all, while others shot the cork to the ceiling. I re-yeasted the bottles with good success. The couple that I've opened since then have that high level of carboantion that I expect from a Tripel. I plan on laying a few down for at least a year and trying them then. Thanks again for the review, I'm glad you liked it! I may have to send you another bottle a year from now for comparison. :mug:

How long did you age it before bottling? My Belgian dark strong has been lagering for about two, two-and-a-half months now, I'm a little worried about most of the yeast having settled out. I'm planning on dosing with dry lager yeast when I bottle.

Originally posted by ColoradoXJ13
I'd like to hear from brewtopia about the chardonnay/oaking process, I am in the planning stages of doing a chardonnay/oaked belgian golden strong ale.

I used 2 oz of Stavin brand medium toast French oak cubes. I soaked them in a drier Chardonnay from Columbia Valley Wineries here in Washington. The oak sat in the chardonnay for about a month. I drained the liquid off of the cubes and pitched the oak only into the secondary where it sat on the oak for approximately 4 weeks. I find the cubes add a much more rounded flavor than the oak chips which can be hard to control.

Originally posted by the_bird
How long did you age it before bottling? My Belgian dark strong has been lagering for about two, two-and-a-half months now, I'm a little worried about most of the yeast having settled out. I'm planning on dosing with dry lager yeast when I bottle.

About 7-8 weeks total. I bottled with Turbinado Sugar and about a 1/4 packet of Safbrew T-58. As I mentioned before, the carbonation was inconsistent. I don't think the sugar and yeast were mixed evenly in the bucket. I uncorked the bottles about 3 weeks ago and re-yeasted with an 1/8 tsp per bottle of the same yeast strain. The couple that I opened recently have been perfectly carbed.

Brewtopia said:
I may have to send you another bottle a year from now for comparison. :mug:

For the record, just because I am a kind soul and have a deep desire to further the art of craft brewing, I will be glad to sample and evaluate any beer you wish to send me. I know it is a dirty job, but I'll be glad to do it! :D

Question is BP, did you finish the bottle? And did you experience any ill effects?

...besides drunkeness of course :D :drunk:

I have finished the bottle and been pulling sage brush out of my yard with a chain and my truck. It is in the upper 90s and so I have sweated most every liquid out of my body, but your beer is sitting fine. 13% at 10 AM tends to set a tone for the day... As for the gluten thing, I really don't expect anything to happen. It is my mind over matter principle, that and a few prayers! Actually, I am still waiting to see, but so far...

Brewtopia said:
About 7-8 weeks total. I bottled with Turbinado Sugar and about a 1/4 packet of Safbrew T-58. As I mentioned before, the carbonation was inconsistent. I don't think the sugar and yeast were mixed evenly in the bucket. I uncorked the bottles about 3 weeks ago and re-yeasted with an 1/8 tsp per bottle of the same yeast strain. The couple that I opened recently have been perfectly carbed.

Yeah, I'm concerned about that, too. I've got a packet of Saflager, I'm thinking about just dosing each bottle individually before filling it.

Back