n00b temptation is strong, must not fiddle with my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
Howdy all. So, my name is quite appropriate, as I have my first beer in the fermenter right now. I put it in last Saturday, diligently followed all rules of sanitation, pitched my yeast after rehydrating it, and it started bubbling within a few short hours. Well, today I took a FG sample and it ended up being EXACTLY where it should be! Of course, ever silver lining must have a gray cloud as my beer had a metallic taste to it. Now I understand why you don't use an enameled pot even if it has the smallest chip in it. :(

Oh well, I'm hoping some conditioning will square that away. Anyways, n00bitis kicked in, and I wanted to make sure the yeasty-beasties were kept busy and eating up any remaining sugars so I gave them a little swirl knowing they would have at least a few more days to clear up before I rack into a secondary. I probably should have left it alone, I know.

Now, the meat of the story. I am fighting temptation to gaze upon my first creation, play with it, celebrate it. I know it's not perfect, and if the metallic taste doesn't clear up it may not even be any good, but damn it, it's mine! I created it, and I am proud of that! I am staying strong, so I wrapped it tight in its loving cocoon of insulating blankets and will leave it alone. Thank God I still have some military discipline left in me!

So, I am the proud daddy of my first batch, a Brewers Best Pale Ale kit. Its OG was 1.044, FG being 1.010. Its brown, and beautiful, if hot still a little hazy. I loving call it Fail Pale Ale. Kinda catchy, don't ya think?

Well, its a great hobby, and I foresee me spending a lot more money on it. Next purchase, a used refrigerator for temp controlled fermentation and/or conditioning, a couple corny kegs, and some fat stainless steel for all my brewing pleasure to replace the aluminum one I just purchased and oxidized today.

That was way too long.

Umm, congrats, I guess. Sucks that you got that metallic taste, but at least you already know what caused it and hopefully have a plan to prevent that from happening again.

I hope your brew turns out great! :mug:

I know there is a fining that is the opposite charge of iron oxide but I can't remember which.

Anyway, that taste should mellow over time. Seriously though, some people find a young beers yeast bite to taste metallically. Could just be that.

Gratz on the brew. So.. you buying a new pot?

Llazy llama, I fixed the problem by buying a new Aluminum stock pot and than promptly oxidized it. I will do so again before I brew my next batch just to be safe.

I hope the slight metallic taste fades with bottle conditioning.

Damn this is an expensive hobby, I just dropped another $30 on getting buying a starter kit from Midwest supplies, as well as $70 on various doodads and ingredients from highgravity, and $30 on a stock pot from Target! If Austin home brew had the economy SS stock pots in stock I would have bought that instead.

Damn, throw some good beer in me, get me riled on an awesome new hobby and I can't seem to shut up!

That taste should subside with some aging (If any beer lasts that long).

In the meantime, learn, and refine your process. Fifteen years ago, I screwed up my first batch so bad, I shoulda quit. I didn't, and I've made some rather good beers.

You will too

Joe

That taste should subside with some aging (If any beer lasts that long).

In the meantime, learn, and refine your process. Fifteen years ago, I screwed up my first batch so bad, I shoulda quit. I didn't, and I've made some rather good beers.

You will too

Joe

Ever screwup I make I will learn from. I am enjoying the research as much as the creation, so I am reading everything I can. I finished Charlie Papazian's book, and will be downloading and reading John Palmer next. Thankfully, I also have you fine folks, and that is awesome. I just wish I had tackled college with as much enthusiasm, and passion I have with home brewing. I know I have a long way to go, but I WILL get there. I just may need a little help along the way. :mug:

Llazy llama, I fixed the problem by buying a new Aluminum stock pot and than promptly oxidized it. I will do so again before I brew my next batch just to be safe.

I hope the slight metallic taste fades with bottle conditioning.

Damn this is an expensive hobby, I just dropped another $30 on getting buying a starter kit from Midwest supplies, as well as $70 on various doodads and ingredients from highgravity, and $30 on a stock pot from Target! If Austin home brew had the economy SS stock pots in stock I would have bought that instead.

Damn, throw some good beer in me, get me riled on an awesome new hobby and I can't seem to shut up!

Heh, I just spent $350 on a pump, fittings, QD's and tubing.

When you make your next beer and it comes out right you will be happy you stuck with the hobby. I screwed up my first beer (it tasted like sour rhino butt and it was due to improper sanitation) and I was kind of disappointed, but then I made a second beer and it came out great. Reading these forums also helps a lot, because you get to see how people screw up and then make sure not to make the same mistake.

Latest posts

Back