Mystery PID/SSR issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
This weekend I tested out my brew panel and did my first 100% electric brews. During the first brew I noticed an issue which I thought was related to having not done an autotune on the PID. I noticed that the boil kettle element light on my panel was pegged on even though the PID output light was off and the temp sensor read 212. I know it was still getting power because the boil was getting out of control. I turned my three way switch (that turns on the element contactors) off and then back on. This restored "normal" operation, the element light, ssr light and pid output light all resumed blinking at the expected rates and the temp. A similar thing happened to me the next day.

The issue only happens with my boil kettle. I have a 220v 4500 watt element on the HLT and 220v 5500 watt element in the boil kettle. There is only 1 SSR in the system. The SSR is only rated for 25 amps and with the 5500watt element I have seen my amp meter go up to 23 amps. Any thoughts would be welcome.

This weekend I tested out my brew panel and did my first 100% electric brews. During the first brew I noticed an issue which I thought was related to having not done an autotune on the PID. I noticed that the boil kettle element light on my panel was pegged on even though the PID output light was off and the temp sensor read 212. I know it was still getting power because the boil was getting out of control. I turned my three way switch (that turns on the element contactors) off and then back on. This restored "normal" operation, the element light, ssr light and pid output light all resumed blinking at the expected rates and the temp. A similar thing happened to me the next day.

The issue only happens with my boil kettle. I have a 220v 4500 watt element on the HLT and 220v 5500 watt element in the boil kettle. There is only 1 SSR in the system. The SSR is only rated for 25 amps and with the 5500watt element I have seen my amp meter go up to 23 amps. Any thoughts would be welcome.

what kind of SSR. one of the $4 fotek knockoffs? if so thats likely your issue... a 25a ssr is rated for up to 25 amps and should work fine but the foteks have a high defect/failure rate. ( I have use them and got luck but they have the highest reported failure rate) I have been using a 25a fotek for 3 years now with no problems but I also use 4500w elements.

Also what kind of heatsink setup do you have and are you using thermal grease between the heatsink and the ssr?

is there a light on your SSR? does it always stay on?

what kind of SSR one of the $4 fotek knockoffs? if so thats likely your issue... a 25a ssr is rated for 23 amps and should work fine but the foteks have a high defect/failure rate. ( I have use them and got luck but they have the highest reported failure rate)

Also what kind of heatsink setup do you have and are you using thermal grease between the heatsink and the ssr?

Yeah its one of those amazon specials, and the bundled heat sink. I did put thermal grease on it.

Looks like your SSR was overheated slightly.

What kind of heatsink do you have ? Have you put some thermogrease between the SSR and heatsink?

For a 5500 watt element you would of been better off getting a 40 amp ssr. Are you putting the heat sink on the outside of your box? If your putting the heat sink inside the box it makes it harder to dissipate the heat.

Hopefully this is enough air flow ;)

IMG_20151112_214418.jpg

IMG_20151112_214406.jpg

Is there a vent on the opposite side of the box from that fan to pull fresh air in? If not you may want to consider it.

Is there a vent on the opposite side of the box from that fan to pull fresh air in? If not you may want to consider it.

There is a 1" hole on the side of the box where I was going to mount a much smaller fan.

Back