Mystery of beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I’m trying to refine my kegging process to get that perfect pour and I’m having questions on the beer line length. I have conflicting advice. Micromatic says on the 3/16 ID line, (quote) “This size hose is not appropriate for use in lengths longer then 5' as a higher then normal keg pressure would be required to dispense the beer and this would result in over carbonated (foamy) beer.” But all the other advice, including the online calculators. seems to be, use around 10 feet. I have virtually no vertical lift (fridge with tap holes cut in door). Right now I have around 4 feet of hose and I do have problems with a full glass of foam, at least with the first pint. I put it everything on 12psi.
If someone with more experience could weigh in...

That quote is contradictory to nearly everything I've read. Most on this site use 3/16 line, since its standard. And most use more than 5 feet, to slow the pour and reduce foam. Follow the calculator's advice.

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Shorter lines make foamy pours, longer lines make slow pours. You can always cut a foot off if it's too slow, so start longer.

Anecdotally, I wanted my hefewiezen at 20 psi. The calc said 20 foot of line. I used 25, and still had to back down to 18 psi to control it!

I am using 15' length at 15 PSI. Note I am using bev seal ultra tubing and my pours are pretty damn good. My beer isn't over-carbed and is just right for me.

Back