Mystery keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up with this small corny style keg as part of a larger equipment purchase. The keg has no markings to help with identification. It holds 2 gallons and has typical opening. But the connections are odd. The outlet is standard Pepsi style disconnect with dip tube. The inlet though appears to be some type of gas quick connect. Smaller than air compressor hose style connections though. At this point the keg is kinda useless unless I can come up with some inlet solution. I’d guess the threads at 1/4” but not sure. 7AF4B2E7-C2C7-4B51-9AC3-85B0976C5A07.jpeg38176728-A1EA-4030-872D-D82C6C454016.jpeg

Try Bobby_M first... my link is in Canada and if you discover the thread to be an odd size, Bobby can probably make one up for you.

How about using a new lid fitted with a ball lock post? A carb lid sans the tubing.

I cannot say for sure about your keg, but I have read that another common use of these types of kegs were for eye wash stations for locations that did not have running water. The keg would contain water and a source of pressurized air would push out the water when needed.

I cannot say for sure about your keg, but I have read that another common use of these types of kegs were for eye wash stations for locations that did not have running water. The keg would contain water and a source of pressurized air would push out the water when needed.
That's not and eye wash station, I have bought several of those.

It looks more like a Taylor keg to me.

What were Taylor kegs used for?
Taylor makes food service equipment.
I've seen similar kegs that had been part of a soft-serve system.
I've tried to buy several and always missed out or got out bid.
Now I have several 2.5 gallon ball lock kegs and a number of three gallon pin lock kegs in addition to too many five gallon pin lock kegs.

personally I'd use it for a 'utility keg'
I would have to agree with this. This would be a perfect little keg to push cleaning solution through beer lines on a kegerator. There will be internal threads on this keg that would not be ideal. Not sure how sanitary they would be and I don't like the idea of Teflon tape being involved here either. Just my 2 cents.

I would have to agree with this. This would be a perfect little keg to push cleaning solution through beer lines on a kegerator. There will be internal threads on this keg that would not be ideal. Not sure how sanitary they would be and I don't like the idea of Teflon tape being involved here either. Just my 2 cents.
I have wine fermenters with NPT fittings. Replacing Teflon tape each time isn't ideal, but it isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't look like there's any rubber on the keg. Boiling water could be used to sanitize the keg or just dunk the top of it into pan boiling water.
I'll 2nd that it looks like a Taylor keg and you can mess with adaptors, get a bulkhead assembly or leave it as it is and use a keg with ball lock fitting in it.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b...E50WKUnQcHPxFoIIkWD6Cs_OnwZemhLBoCPzIQAvD_BwE

I have wine fermenters with NPT fittings. Replacing Teflon tape each time isn't ideal, but it isn't that big of a deal. It doesn't look like there's any rubber on the keg. Boiling water could be used to sanitize the keg or just dunk the top of it into pan boiling water.
I'll 2nd that it looks like a Taylor keg and you can mess with adaptors, get a bulkhead assembly or leave it as it is and use a keg with ball lock fitting in it.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b...E50WKUnQcHPxFoIIkWD6Cs_OnwZemhLBoCPzIQAvD_BwE
True it could definitely be done. The stringy mess of used teflon imbeaded in 1/4" threads getting it out would be enough to stop me from using it. I've got fermenters with interior threads but silicone gaskets are what makes the seal.

That looks like a Taylor syrup tank to me. The threads on that little air fitting are 1/8 27 NPT. I’ve been looking for a good adapter or combination of fittings to put a ball lock gas post there but haven’t found one yet. If you decide you don’t want to mess with it let me know and I’ll buy it from you. I’m always looking for small kegs to fit in my apartment sized kegerator.

Back