Mystery hops...will make mystery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1jw

Reaction score
Got a call from a buddy telling me to come and harvest his wife's hops. The plant is over 7 years old...she can't remember what kind of hops as she doesn't brew beer and really didn't care what kind they were. Single plant...absolutely loaded with mature cones ready to harvest. She whacks/digs-up/stomps the thing back every year...in her words...'the god d@## thing is like a blackberry bush...can't kill it!' Her dad bought it at a farmers market in SW Washington.

Woulda thought it would be a cascade or willamette considering the location of purchase...but, the cones are too small. From on-line references, it looks like a fuggle or nugget. Small cones, 3 lobe leaf, mild smell, prickly as hell bines. Will brew a SMASH in a few weeks.

Would post a pic...but, haven't figured out the URL insert link dealy yet.

Sounds like Fuggles. It's all over the PNW and it matures early.

WB - Summit is a very new hop. It's only been available since 2003.

I sent the grower some pics and she seems to think it is a willamette. Do willamette's have 3 lobed leafs...thought they were 5 lobed.

it seems like lobes can change from leaf to leaf from what i've seen in my yard. it all depends on how old the leaves are and where on the plant they are.

here is a link to some willamette hop info...

Willamette

Back