Mystery grain bag, recipe ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBass

Reaction score
So it's turning to winter and things are slowing down around the farm. Time to make a few batches. Went out to the garage to check my fermenting fridge, controller, clean the equipment, and take inventory of leftover grains and hops.

I'm writing everything down that's in the fridge out there, and came across a sealed bag of un-milled but already mixed grain:

#4 Golden Promise
#4 Munich malt 8L
#1 Crystal 20
#1 Crystal 90
#0.5 Crystal 120

I have no clue what I had planned for this. At first I remembered wanting to do a Wee Heavy/Scottish Light parti-gyle brew day. Which might go with the 12-15 pounds of Maris Otter in there (to big to weigh on the food scale) But why the Munich malt. It is a mystery.

1) So obviously with the grains mixed I can't subtract, but I can add to the bill.
2) I was trying to avoid getting out all the equipment and doing a BIAB inside, but adding malt will probably kill that idea.
3) I like malty beers from stouts and porters to dark milds, not fond of a lot of hops.

With that said. Any ideas on what I could turn this into?
Munich dunkel Maybe?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Looking at recipes tonight, Maybe a Baltic Porter. I have some chocolate malt and other odds and ends on hand. I've not had great success with big beers, probably a lack of patience issue more than anything. Always willing to try one, or any other ideas. I'll sleep on it tonight, going to try a scottish light in the morning.

Went to the homebrew store yesterday, and bought 10 pounds of Maris Otter, some EKG and a package of California Ale yeast and Edinbough Ale yeast. Going to brew 10 gallons, split and pitch seperate yeasts. Name it whatever I feel like and see the difference in the 2.

10 Pounds Maris Otter 48.8%
4 Pounds Golden Promise 19.5%
4 Pounds Munich 8L malt 19.5%
1 Pound Crystal 20 4.9%
1 Pound Crystal 90 4.9%
.5 Pound Crystal 120 2.4%

That gets the Munich and Crystal Malts down to what I read as a reasonable level.
I will have to break out the big Mash Tun, but I'll get over it.
Get this show on the road I guess. Not sure how it will turn out, but I'm sure I've made worse in the past.

Back