Mystery Co2 issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marmike600

Reaction score
I have a 7 tap keezer with a secondary regulator for each tap. Last week I randomly lost an entire 5lb co2 tank. Nothing changed with the system that was not leaking at all.

Only thing that changed is that the weather went cold and now the garage is cold.

I have turned off all co2 to each keg and then the co2 at the tank. I lose pressure at the dials. I’ve checked for bubbling with starsan. Nothing. I’ve changed hose clamps.

Again, this system was working perfectly till it got cold. It’s not that the tank is reading empty because of the cold. I can hear the system refilling with gas when I turn it back on at the tank.

Any ideas??

Thanks

I wish I had an idea to share because something similar recently happened to me. I cranked up the pressure to carbonate a bottle of soda and set the whole thing in the fridge. A little later, I heard an odd noise and opened the fridge to find my regulator going nuts and blowing a lot of gas from... somewhere. It seemed to be OK again after the thing warmed back up to room temperature.

no reason the weather should be an issue. you just gotta track down that leak. you have shutoffs on all the 2nds? what about in between? shut them all. test the high line/trunk. then to each 2nd.

if i had to guess i'd say one of your 2nd regs went bad. the actual diaphragms on those just randomly go bad. very slow leaks, but not really something you can fix as the replacements are crazy expensive for 2nds, if you can even find them....

i just went through two 2nds trying to find the leak. both are junk now. ended up having to dunk them in water to solve the mystery. star san didnt show anything. once i put them in water, i could see a bubble every 5 to 10 minutes that came out of the weep hole in the bell housing. no way in hell i ever would have found that without putting it in water....

no reason the weather should be an issue. you just gotta track down that leak. you have shutoffs on all the 2nds? what about in between? shut them all. test the high line/trunk. then to each 2nd.
I have turned off at the tank, at the primary regulator, and at each secondary. I’ll have to try the submersion test. I have a couple of spare diaphragms.

total pain in the ass. i couldnt believe what i was seeing. i left it in the water and just happened to sit down right when a bubble came out. othewise i never would have caught it. literally took like 5 minutes from bubble to bubble. but once i figured it out i checked all the secondaries i had laying around. had to toss a few. hopefully thats not your problem, but then again.... its an easy fix if you have the spares.

luckily i was able to keep the one with the slowest leak for purging and sealing up clean kegs. have the tank under the sink so as long as i remember to always shut off the splitter the leak wont be an issue. (fingers crossed)

i think its safe to say co2 leaks are the most annoying things to fix in brewing.

total pain in the ass. i couldnt believe what i was seeing. i left it in the water and just happened to sit down right when a bubble came out. othewise i never would have caught it. literally took like 5 minutes from bubble to bubble. but once i figured it out i checked all the secondaries i had laying around. had to toss a few. hopefully thats not your problem, but then again.... its an easy fix if you have the spares.

luckily i was able to keep the one with the slowest leak for purging and sealing up clean kegs. have the tank under the sink so as long as i remember to always shut off the splitter the leak wont be an issue. (fingers crossed)

i think its safe to say co2 leaks are the most annoying things to fix in brewing.
Absolutely the most annoying thing. For it to happen out of the blue and generally be expensive to fix.

As Komodo said “The proper way to wash bottles is to keg.” Post #7
in the thread titled “I finally bought the book”.
You could also say, the best way to solve a CO2 leak is to bottle.
Whoever said brewing is easy.

Back