Mystery Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Reaction score
A few years ago I moved across country and put everything in storage. Finally got everything out and found (3)-one gallon bags of crushed grain. I must have been getting ready to brew before I moved. Part of me wants to throw them out and the other part wants to brew and make a mystery beer.

Problem is I don't know if this was for a 5-gal or 10 gal batch.

My first step is to actually weigh them and find out how much grain I have. Calculate an estimated OG, and go from there.

Anybody want to recommend some ideas?

Seems to me it will be enormously important to figure out if they are a base grain like 2-row, or something far less fermentable like crystal.

It's definitely bags of mixed grain. I buy my base grains in bulk and I'm not sure if this grain is for a 5lbs batch including base grain or if this is specialty grain for a 10 gal batch.

I would try them to see if they are even good. Probably stale by now. Especially, if it is already crushed. If they are somehow fine, mystery beer it is. Your already paid for it so aren't losing anything but time.

I too would taste the grains. If they don't taste too stale take a look at the color. If it is pretty dark they might all be specialty grains, then you can take a stab at the gravity they would contribute and and make up the difference with a base grain.

Or use some base and specialty and add some of what you have as an addition. The fresh would make up the bulk of the recipe and the old stuff would be additional. And still a mystery.

Good luck.

Back