MYPIN PID- Can I put the magic smoke back in ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

iamsblack

Reaction score
I jumped in thinking I knew it all and wired OUT as if it were a relay rather than the SSR it is (was). I jumpered +24VDC to the contact marked "+". Of course when the PID tried to trigger the SSR bad things happened.

My bad. I gave the circuit boards a cursory examination and I don't see anything obvious. Is this likely repairable or junk. Alternately, can I give up the PID functionality and use the alarm relay to control my process? The alarm configuration is eluding me. I think there are 7 options.

It's a TA4E-SNR

Thanks

dmcman73

Reaction score
If it's like the one I have then it's as follows:

Starting from the left top

1- 120v Hot lead
2- 120v Neutral lead
3- (-) Negative lead to the SSR VDC connection
4- (+) Positive lead to the SSR VDC connection
5- 120v Hot lead feed for the Alarm (there is a NC relay in the PID)
6- 120v Hot lead Output for the alarm buzzer/light, 120v will be present on this lead when the alarm temp is reached and the NO relay will close to make a contact. (make sure the buzzer/light is 120V rated)

The right side connections, 7-10 is for your temp probe and depending on what type it is, will determine how it gets connected.

IMG_20160417_100623.jpg

IMG_20160417_100612.jpg

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
A very old and crusty Electronics Technician Master Chief once told me "all electronics work on magic white smoke and if you ever see this magic white smoke your electronics will not work".

If you seen the magic white smoke it burnt something up.

OP
I

iamsblack

Reaction score
Oh yeah I definitely toasted something. I was wondering if there were any PID /electronics gurus who could give me advice on a possible repair. The unit still runs fine and triggers the alarm relay. It just doesn't supply voltage to the SSR output when triggered. I followed the traces from the SSR pins and checked every resistor I could identify. That's about the limit of my electronics diagnostic skills.

Latest posts