my yeast just tried to kill me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
so here i sit, getting my notes together for some posts i am going to put up later ( just had a fun brew session) . i'm munching on some leftover cake and trying to finish the keg my wonderful woman got me for my birthday party, and i have a yeast starter next to me that i put together a few hours ago while waiting for my wort to cool the last few degrees. i have it sitting in a caraffe with a snap on lid, and covered with a towel. i take a big mouthful of dry cake and the yeast attacked. they blew the top of the bottle off with suprising force, and i just about choked on my cake. at least they are active :LOL::rockin:....... little chits are hungry i guess..:drunk:

LOL. Too funny. Glad you didn't choke though! Next time you make a starter, just cover it loosely with sanitized foil. In a starter, oxygen is a good thing- the yeast use it to assist in reproduction.

i have learned from experience, NEVER underestimate how much pressure yeast can generate in a small perioud of time. thats why i use an airlock on my yeast starter bottle, the percolating tells me when its ready.

i have learned from experience, NEVER underestimate how much pressure yeast can generate in a small perioud of time. thats why i use an airlock on my yeast starter bottle, the percolating tells me when its ready.

i have to admit that i didn't expect much to happen in the short amount of time that they were in the wort. about an inch of foamy goodness was in the flask when i pitched it to the 5 gallons. :D

Back