My Yeast is Chunky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey I got some liquid yeast from Northern Brewer today and it is chunky. No matter how hard i shake it there is always clumps of whit yeast floating in water. It came wrapped with an ice pack, so is it possible that the yeast froze? If so what should I do?... I was planning on making a starter tonight.

Yeah, Wyeast 1968 London ESB is HORRIBLE for that. Once my starters settle out, there is one big gelatinous pancake on the bottom. But it sure makes good beer!

I have a quart jar in the fridge half full of WLP002 that is chunk city. Some yeasts do that.

if you need to, you can use a sanitized rod or similar object to reach inside the vial and manually break up those chunks, then recap and shake it up more.

do be careful opening these vials. they ahve a little pressure to them. so crack the lid slightly and vent it, then open all the way.
otherwise you might be wearing a few million yeast cells.

Back