My wife just called my latest brew the best beer she'd ever had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankev

Reaction score
She actually said it was a tie with this and Oskar Blues G'Knight, but I'll consider it a win. She's not a heavy drinker, but she samples a lot of different beers.

This was my first AG beer, and it's actually pretty similar to G'Knight, but not a clone. It's also somewhat similar to Double Mountain IRA.

While I'm not sure I'd call it the best beer I've ever had, it's actually up there. If I was poured a pint of it at a pub, I'd definitely get the name of the brewery and seek out more of their stuff. This is the first time I've felt that way about one of my beers.

No kidding. That kinda bragging can't go without something to back it up. Recipe or it didn't happen. :D

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 85.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.7 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.7 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 7 39.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 12.0 min Hop 8 12.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 9 11.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 10 3.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %]*- Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Wyeast 1056 yeast

Mashed at 150 for 90 minutes
OG 1.072
FG 1.012
ABV 7.9%
IBU 65.9
SRM 14.4

First time posting a recipe. I hope it's legible.

The only real problem I had with brewing it was leaving way too much wort and trub at the bottom of the kettle, so I ended up with a little less than I had wanted in the bottles. I got that pretty well sorted out on the next brew.

Well sir, you have cracked the secret recipe of Diet Coke. No wait, you said your wife. If it were my wife, and she said that you could have made DC or maybe Chardonnay.

The only real problem I had with brewing it was leaving way too much wort and trub at the bottom of the kettle, so I ended up with a little less than I had wanted in the bottles. I got that pretty well sorted out on the next brew.

I'm curious how you figured this out on your equipment? I'm new to all grain and had a similar problem. Did you up your initial boil volume?

I'm curious how you figured this out on your equipment? I'm new to all grain and had a similar problem. Did you up your initial boil volume?

Part of it was upping the volume a little. The other part was going to be just to dump everything in and not worry about the trub. Let it settle out in the primary. I ended up doing a little better.

I had been using a 7.5 gal pot, and just dumping the wort into my bottling bucket after I cooled. However, I got a new, bigger pot, and I drilled it and put in a valve. I tried whirlpooling, but with 6+ oz of whole hops (in the most recent brew), the hops covered the entire bottom of the pot, a few inches up. The hops seemed to work as a strainer as I pulled liquid out of the valve, and even at the end, I didn't see much trub coming out. I didn't squeeze the hops, but I got all the standing liquid out of the pot.

dankev said:
Part of it was upping the volume a little. The other part was going to be just to dump everything in and not worry about the trub. Let it settle out in the primary. I ended up doing a little better.

I had been using a 7.5 gal pot, and just dumping the wort into my bottling bucket after I cooled. However, I got a new, bigger pot, and I drilled it and put in a valve. I tried whirlpooling, but with 6+ oz of whole hops (in the most recent brew), the hops covered the entire bottom of the pot, a few inches up. The hops seemed to work as a strainer as I pulled liquid out of the valve, and even at the end, I didn't see much trub coming out. I didn't squeeze the hops, but I got all the standing liquid out of the pot.

Are you using a diptube as well?

Wise choice though on putting in a valve though. I could never go back to siphoning.

Are you using a diptube as well?

Wise choice though on putting in a valve though. I could never go back to siphoning.

I was going to use one, but I decided to try it without, and just tip at the end. It worked great, so I'll probably stick with it. I was able to get the hole pretty low in the pot, so I don't have to tip far.

And yes, I'm SUPER happy with the decision to put in a valve. The new pot is 15 gallons and reasonably thick, so I'm excited to never have to pick it up and dump it, whether for wort, cleaning, etc.

Personally, I'd be making some more of that and up the ABV just alittle at a time. LOL

All joking alside, had to be great to hear.

Back