My wheat beer fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beertaster

Reaction score
Hello all... so it's been almost 2 weeks since I started fermenting my wheat beer, and I just transfered it to my secondary. My problem is that although air was coming through the airlock, it was very slowly. And the ring around the top of my bucket is only like an inch and a half thick. The fermentation never got close to the top of my bucket, as did all my previous beers. My question is what happened, or is this normal for a wheat beer? I had figured that there would be a good size fermentation because of all the sugar, 1 lb of honey plus the extact etc. My lid was secured, so I'm not sure if I had some bad yeast or what. What should I do?

What were your OG and FG readings? Hydrometer readings are an important step in determining whether or not you had a successful fermentation.

Beertaster said:
Hello all... so it's been almost 2 weeks since I started fermenting my wheat beer, and I just transfered it to my secondary. My problem is that although air was coming through the airlock, it was very slowly. And the ring around the top of my bucket is only like an inch and a half thick. The fermentation never got close to the top of my bucket, as did all my previous beers. My question is what happened, or is this normal for a wheat beer? I had figured that there would be a good size fermentation because of all the sugar, 1 lb of honey plus the extact etc. My lid was secured, so I'm not sure if I had some bad yeast or what. What should I do?

In my Exp, the bigger the beer the harder it ferments, All of my beer batches never had a blowout or got close to the top, but when just recently I Made my Imperial Hefe I had a massive blowout. So Im sure your fine.

Honey takes a long time to ferment out. 2 weeks may not be enough time.

What were/are your gravity readings?

...oh, and all krausens are not alike. Don't worry about that part of it...

Back