My Westmalle tripel clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusty83

Reaction score
Ive followed the all grain recipe for westmalle from BYO online. The recipe uses belgian trappist yeast and calls for 3 weeks of secondary at 50 degrees. The question is why. Is there a special component to the beer that it needs to sit in the cold for so long other than clearing out? It looks pretty clear before secondary and will clear out even more in the 60 days tehy want for bottle conditioning. Is it okay to leave it in the primary carboy for 3 weeks and will I have problems collecting a viable yeast sample after this amount of time. thanks

Here's the recipe for anyone who is interested.

http://***********/stories/recipein...-belgian-and-french-ale/1776-westmalle-tripel

Poobah58 said:
I leave my tripels in primary for 3-4 weeks. I then secondary at 40-50°F or so for 2-3 months to clear things out...

Do you have to repitch after so long?
Have you experienced any carbonation problems?

I have a tripel I that I kegged up about a week ago that was brewed on Dec. 31st. I used the westmalle yeast and I think it's at it's peak right now. If it's not then that's a bonus. It's just drinking really great. clear too

Latest posts

Back