My water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any tips on what I should add to my water? I mostly make Stouts, Porters, Pale Ales, Amber Ales and Cream Ales. For my lighter beers, I usually start with 5 gallons of RO and top off with tap water (about 3.5 gallons). I usually just use tap water for my stouts and porters.

Aluminum 0.0 ppm
Calcium 26 ppm
Chloride 8 ppm
Chromium 6 0.9 ppb
Color 0.2
Foaming agents [MBAS] 1 ppb
Hardness 80 ppm
Iron 7 ppb
Magnesium 3 ppm
Odor <1
pH 7.5
Sodium 17 ppm
Specific conductance 219 µS/cm
Sulfate 8 ppm
Total dissolved solids 140 ppm
Turbidity (groundwater) 0.1 NTU

That report is slightly incomplete, but it implies that the bicarbonate content is around 115 ppm. That is an outstanding water as long as the alkalinity is neutralized for most brews. There is no need to dilute this water with RO if you learn to dose the water with acid.

Be aware that the treatment needed for those various beers will vary. A single prescription is not ideal, but it may work. The primary thing you need to attend to for a majority of brewing is acidifying the water to neutralize the bicarbonate to some degree.

Please visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to help introduce yourself to the various needs in brewing water treatment.

PS: that iron concentration is probably 7 ppb since the water would be undrinkable if it has 7 ppm iron. 7 ppb is 0.007 ppm

Thank you for the reply! I downloaded Bru'n Water and saw what my report was missing and emailed the water company. They replied with the following:

Nitrite Not detectable
Potassium 6.3
Carbonate (CO3) 1.51
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 69.1

When I look at the water profiles in BeerSmith, I think mine looks most like Antwerp, Belgium, which sounds good to me... Thanks again!

Back