My water profile, mash ph, and attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackattack784

Reaction score
I'm brewing my 10th all grain batch this weekend and I think it's time to start looking at my water profile and mash ph and its effects on my brews. One thing I've noticed is I don't seem to get the amazing attenuation that I read about others getting. With US-05/1056 I seem to cosistently get around 76% attenuation. For example, I recently did a pale ale mashed at 152, and it went from 1.053-1.012. Good, but not great, and yes I have full temp control during fermentation. I also recently did a Kolsch (all pilsner malt) which I mashed at 150 with wyeast kolsch yeast. It went from 1.052-1.012.

I found what I could online about my water and from what I can tell it doesn't look the best to brew light beers like the one I have planned for this weekend. Can anyone offer some insight and let me know if I should pick up litmus papers and something to acidify my mash?

From my water company:
ph: 7.5
Magnesium (ppm): 22.3
Sodium (ppm): 20
Total dissolved solids (ppm): 306
Total hardness (grains per gallon): 13
Alkalinity (ppm): 169
Calcium (ppm): 62.1

Thanks everyone!

Are you making/using starters?

-BD

For liquid yeasts yes, and I use a calculator to determine how large of a starter to make based on quantity and OG of my wort.

Edit: And I use a stir plate. I've experienced similar attenuation with rehydrated dry yeast and liquid yeast with starters. I also have fermentation temperature control so I'm starting to narrow down some of these little issues to water and/or mash ph. My beers taste good, I'm just trying to fine tune everything as I gain experience.

I don't see anything wrong with those attenuation levels, nor do I see attenuation as any sort of goal for my beers. But if you find you want your beers more dry, then I'd focus on mash temperatures. Perhaps try a 2-step infusion (e.g first rest at 145-147 then a rest at 162-164).

Sure it's wise to have a reasonable pH, but that's not where I'd start.

I use Lactic Acid to acidify my mash and sparge waters for light beers. My tap water is high in bicarbonate so it's necessary to get good conversion.

You'll get better conversion with your pH in proper range.

As far as attenuation goes, you're really not that far off from S-05's spec'd attenuation #s. Are you sure your thermometers are accurate? Calibrated?

I dealt with OVER attenuation for a few batches before I realized my mash thermometer was reading 8 degrees high in the 150°F range. Once I adjusted for that, I have been getting better attenuation.

Back