My Wand Is Malfunctioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
My bottling wand is not shutting off at the end of a fill like it should. Today, almost every other bottle overflowed. I had to then pour off the excess into the sink to create headspace, rinse the bottle off without adding water, and clean up the over-soaked towels on the floor before the Mrs. comes home. It was messy, not to mention wasteful.

During the fill, I tried giving the bottle a quick jerk downwards to shut the plunger --- sometimes it worked, but sometimes not. I took it apart and put it back together without curing the problem.

Anyone know whats going on, at least to the extent that I can fix it? I've bottled only 5 batches with this wand and it's from a reputable supplier, so it doesn't seem like it should be pooping out so soon. I clean it every time right after bottling and re-clean and sanitize before bottling, so I doubt it's a matter of crud caught in there. Any thoughts, short of buying a new one?

I've had a few brew days like this, and haven't really been too sure why. I didn't know if it was from certain beers, or where I was placing the wand in the bottle, or what. I started just making sure the wand was placed smack-dab in the middle of the bottle. So far, I haven't had any issues so maybe that has helped. Who knows.

Anyways, to be safe I still place a large garbage bag and a few old towels under my bottling set up just in case it starts going everywhere. Helps catch the few drips and makes clean up easier as well.

my filler is always a bit iffy. for me, the spring is fine, but the o ring at the end tends to slip. my solution: keg lube. works like a charm, and doesnt leak

The first wand I got in my starter kit had a softer spring, and the tip end wasn't quite evenly tight through the tube (that's what she said). Replacement at LHBS was obviously a lot better just by feel, has worked for many-a year. Really there's not much that you can "fix" on these I'd think outside of poor design / materials or possibly spring tension over time.

I don't have the spring loaded bottling wand. I just keep it clean I the only drips I get are from the outside upon lifting it out of the bottle. Never once had this problem.

Is the o-ring still in place under the top of the plunger? Is the cross end of the spring in contact with the top of the plunger?
If both are correct stretch the spring to create more pressure.

Back