My Upside down Keg MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmatics

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to post a pic of my stage 2 MLT. Excuse the terrible picture quality, bad lighting, and general mess of the cellar.

To test its heat retention. I pumped in 9 gallons of water. I stirred it, measured the temp to be 179*, after 75 minutes it was about 167*. Seems like this should work ok for the time being. I figure a good amount of that heat loss was due to heating the metal of the keg etc.

The keg itself was wrapped in r30 fiberglass insulation, that i crudely secured with duct tape, and on top I just put some furnace wrapping since I had it and was sick of looking at it. I'm hoping to goto herms system in a bit, but think this should be fine until I make the switch. Also any idea how I can best incorporate this data into beersmith? Any thoughts?
:mug:

photo (5).jpg

I am dumb, but not that dumb, lol I just didn't take a pic of it. I have a 12" cooking pan lid, above which I made a compressed insulation hockey puck looking thing. Once I get my rig outside and tidy'd up I'll take better shots.

Back