My thermometer broke!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriU

Reaction score
It is a floating thermometer, the glass at the bottom broke and spilled the little weights out. Is my beer contaminated?

Contaminated with broken glass, I wouldn't try to drink it if the glass is in the beer.

I should have mentioned that I strained it... I was more worried about what material the weights are made from. It doesn't look like lead but I don't know.

Ya, if it is just those little balls, those thermometers should be food grade, meaning there is nothing toxic in them.

The balls are steel. The liquid is alcohol. You're beer is safe. The glass that isn't strained out in the mash will settle out in the fermentor -- I know this from (relevantly recent) first-hand experience. Drink on.

Yea this happened to me as well. I was fine. Like beergeek said, everything is food grade. However, as others have mentioned in threads before, if a significant amount of glass got in, it can be a risk. Most likely it will sink to the bottom and you won't rack any of it, but do it at your own risk or leave a lot behind, because even one sliver could be painful.

I've done the same thing. Beer turned out fine, and I'm still around to talk about it.

Back