My stout is sour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been holding off with posting about this, but things aren't getting any better. I hoped to never have to post a "Is this infected?" post, but I'm guessing that I'm part of the club now :cross:

Brewed an all-grain dry stout with a buddy about seven weeks ago. Brew day went without a hitch. Primary with Wyeast Irish for a week at about 68*-70* F; three weeks in secondary at about 68* F. Racked to bottling bucket (primed with corn sugar) about three weeks ago; tasted fantastic out of secondary - strong roasted flavour with a clean, dry after taste. Was very excited, especially since I reckoned that it'd be good enough for St. Pat's.

Anyhoo, been trying it for the last week and it's sour as f***. Sour at the back of the tongue that sucks at your saliva glands sour. I'm thinking infection.

I'm really disappointed as I was absolutely loving it out of primary and now is basically undrinkable (although it did make a fantastic lamb stew on St. Patty's!)

Beyond letting it go for another month and trying it, do you have any thoughts? I can post the recipe, but the fact that it was magical coming out of secondary makes me think that something happened in the bottling process. Used 3/4 cup of dextrose, boiled it, let it cool and pourred into bottling bucket (no physical mixing). Sanitised bottles with Aseptox solution (used it for a mild ale afterwards without problems).

Yup, sour. Just took another sip. Yuck!

Save it or bury it at sea?

Save it and pasturize it, then make an Ode to Arthur guinness clone and add some of it to your new brew in secondary/at bottling. It might make for one hellofa guinness clone...

Lacto takes a long time to get a foothold.

I'd brew up another batch and blend, but it isn't possible if you are a bottler.. you'd need to stabilize the soured beer to prevent a runaway lacto infection in the blended brew, and that process would kill any yeast and prevent it from carbing.

Why can't he stabilize and then blend it in the secondary with good yeast to bottle.

Latest posts

Back