My Stainless Kegerator build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StainlessBrewing

Reaction score
Got a sweet deal on Craigslist today! I couldn't pass it up for $200. Ready to upgrade from this hillbilly setup...

picture175m.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-11

...to making something real nice out of this.
picture184a.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-11

Nice Hobart!

I like the "DO NOT TOUCH (you will die)" on your bottles hehe.

Hi

The Hobart looks very cool. I spent most of yesterday afternoon bashing holes in stainless steel. Hopefully the bleeding will stop soon ....:drunk:

Bob

I got the outside cleaned up, installed a new bulb and test fit a couple kegs. Looks like I should be able to hold a good amount of brew in here! I still need to find out how cold it gets but when I arrived to pick it up it was real cold. As soon as I blow out the dust in the condensor coils I'll bring it inside and plug it in to see what kind of temperature range it can do.
picture078uz.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-13
picture081be.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-13
picture082ci.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-13
picture080om.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-06-13

Hi

Two very good pieces of news there:

1) If it was cold when you picked it up the comprssor isn't totaly junk. Often these things show up with dead comprssors. You *do not* want to buy a new one.

2) The inside is very rational. No weird fittings welded in, no evidance of hand grenades going off etc.

Looks like you got a fine piece of gear there.

Bob

Hi

Two very good pieces of news there:

1) If it was cold when you picked it up the comprssor isn't totaly junk. Often these things show up with dead comprssors. You *do not* want to buy a new one.

2) The inside is very rational. No weird fittings welded in, no evidance of hand grenades going off etc.

Looks like you got a fine piece of gear there.

Bob

I made sure to ask plenty of questions before purchasing it. I had a Sub Zero fridge and I know that some parts can be very expensive depending on where you're getting them from. It looks like this was in a hotel/convention center from a sticker on the side and has been sitting in a warehouse unplugged for a couple years now.

I made sure to ask plenty of questions before purchasing it. I had a Sub Zero fridge and I know that some parts can be very expensive depending on where you're getting them from. It looks like this was in a hotel/convention center from a sticker on the side and has been sitting in a warehouse unplugged for a couple years now.

Hi

They are designed to run 24/7 for decades, so they are indeed pretty tough. Of course they geet run 24/7 for decades and don't show much wear in the process.... Glad you got a working one.

Bob

One tap down...no clue how many more to go. I'm thinking 6-8 tap total. Damn these things can get expensive but after using it I can see it's well worth it.
picture108ox.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-06
picture109y.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-06
picture112z.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-06
picture111ue.jpg

By zjosey at 2012-07-06

Hi

Good job going through the stainless steel. That's not easy stuff to blast through.

You may want to back up the area behind the taps with a chunk of plywood or something similar. A lot depends on just how many inches :D thick that steel is.

Bob

A large washer is all you need to back up those taps. I've got that same setup and it shows no evidence of failure and is plenty solid.

StainlessBrewing said:
Faucets installed!

That's a very similar Hobart to the one I got off Craigslist for $100.00 and it will hold 16 corney kegs!! Nice Find!! I use mine as a fermenter and holds my 1bbl fermenter no problem.

MaxOut said:
That's a very similar Hobart to the one I got off Craigslist for $100.00 and it will hold 16 corney kegs!! Nice Find!! I use mine as a fermenter and holds my 1bbl fermenter no problem.

Must be the same one. Ever think about making it a kegerator and installing a coil and jacket on your fermentor?

StainlessBrewing said:
Must be the same one. Ever think about making it a kegerator and installing a coil and jacket on your fermentor?

I like the uni-fermenter inside the Hobart as it saves a little space in my shop and gives me great control over the fermentation. I have the Hobart controlled by the BCS running my fermentation schedules. Mine is a refrigerator so the cooling capacity is not as strong as a freezer but it lagers fine.

I do have another uni-fermenter I want to install a coil inside for cooling.

Good work on the Kegerater you will have plenty of room!

So many taps... So beautiful...

Don't want to think about the cost of all those faucets, but that's gonna make for a wicked-awesome setup. :D

Back