My stab at writing a recipe for a uber hoppy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laxbrew

Reaction score
I really like dogfish head IPA's, but my favorite may be New Glarus's Moon Man IPA, really citrusy really tasty. So here is my take on an hoppy ale, im not trying to clone either, more combining things i like.
8 lbs. Pale Ale malt
1 lb. Munich malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
1 lb. Oatmeal

Target sg around 1.065

Using wyeast american ale II

hops and schedule

Bittering-B1-Chinook
All Purpose-AP1-Galena
All Purpose-AP2-Centennial
Aroma-AR1-Cascade
Aroma-AR2-Simcoe

@60 min-1/3 oz. B1
@50 min-1/3 oz. B1
-1/3 oz. AP1
@40 min- 1/3 oz. B1
-1/3 oz. AP1
-1/3 oz. AP2
@30 min-1/3 oz. AP1
-1/3 oz. AP2
-1/3 oz. AR1
@20 min-1/3 oz. AP2
-1/3 oz. AR1
-1/3 oz. AR2
@10 min-1/3 oz. AR1
-1/3 oz. AR2
Dry hop-1/5 oz. AR1
-1/3 oz. AR2

any thoughts on the recipe?
more specifically
Am i wasting my time dividing the hop additions the way i did?

needs way more hops to be considered uber hoppy, barely over 2oz late isnt gunna cut it. you need at least twice as much finishing hops just to make this into an IPA. id just use the galena & chinook @60, and keep the rest to 15mins & under to maximize flavor/aroma.

I would do a more late hop intensive additions, and more of it.60min hop, maybe a 30min, and really start to turn it on 15min to flame out. I really love hoppy beers and i'm starting to find out that i like hop flavor/aroma more than hop bitterness. That's why i would focus more on late hop additions.... you could also add your 60min hop addition.... then at 25min start to do a continuous hopping until flame out. Its actually pretty fun doing a hop addition every minute or so. ps dry hop with more that 1/3 oz too.

20-40 HBUs for bittering and 2-4 ozs from 15-flameout. Maybe replace the flaked oats with flaked wheat
Cheers

Remembering that any hops added before 20 minutes from the end of the boil will give very little hops aroma or flavor and only bitterness, I'd change up the hops quite a bit if you want a "hoppy" flavor and aroma, plus more hops. Using 1/3 ounce of hops in a hoppy beer is like using 1/100 teaspoon of salt in a dish- not much point.

Also, five different varieties might give you muddled flavors, so I'd choose maybe three that go well together. Galena is great for bittering.

I'd do something more like this:

60 min-1 oz (or to get 40 IBUs with this addition) Galena is a great bittering choice.
15 min-1 ounce hops (centennial or cascade)
10 minutes- 1 ounce hops (centennial or cascade or simcoe)
5 minutes- 1 oz hops (the same as the 15 minute variety)
1 minute- 1 oz hops (the same as the 10 minute variety)
Dryhop with 1-2 ounces hops (two varieties, used late in the boil)

Back