My son and pictures of Wyoming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son just got back this morning from a two week trip to the Big Horn Mountains. He backpacked in the Bighorn National Park, in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area. I've never been there, but now I'm dying to go! Here are a few pictures he took last week:

Devil's Tower (on the way to Bighorn)
PB180071.jpg

Even he was surprised to hold snow in August:
PB220111.jpg

from one of the places they camped:
PB180076.jpg

I was out in Lander, WY for a season after college in '97... I learned to fly fish out there. If it is still like it was, WOW! I would catch brown trout in the evening in this creek that ran through the hay fields... big, hard hitting, monsters!

And up in the mountains... brookies in any stream and the lakes held various cutts, some rainbows. More spooky... depending on the lake, sometimes BIG.

ahh... memories.

Yoop, definately take a trip out that way. And go tour wind cave south of Mt Rushmore etc.

Any word on the fish in that creek? I may have to relocate. :D

YES! They didn't have fishing gear, but he said some of the streams were literally loaded with tons of cutthroats (he said brookies, but I'm thinking that they were cutts- brookies are common here, so he just said "brookies"). He said that he tried to make a hook with a paperclip, but it didn't work at all. He said that a fly rod would have been heavan!

He said he mainly stayed at 9,000-11,000 feet during the trip. The first night, which would have been around July 29, they had a very hard frost so it was cold. Well, he said it wasn't cold but that his boots were frozen and the grass was "all white". That means it was very cold to me!

I can remember waking up on the 3rd of July in my tent with that little sleep drool frozen on my sleeping bag thinking "thats weird" and unzipping the tent to 4 inches of snow covering everything... weird to a brain that grew up in south florida (cape coral, ironically with Jim posting in this thread...)

I never turned back. I love the mountains. Although I did come back east to be closer to family. For now. My last stint in Colorado a few years ago, all I did was fish and brew.

It is brookies alot of places Yooper. They are quite common in a lot of the streams out there. Here in the smokies as well.

Ah, a trout stream, now I definitely need to see that place! :D Reminds me that I haven't been fishing in about 4 days because of all this blasted rain. :(

That's some amazing scenery. Makes me want to see more of the US instead of usually going overseas for my vacations.

A friend went out that way a couple of years ago and couldn't wait to get back. That place looks amazing for a couple of week vacation. I should start planning a trip now.

OK, whose job is it to mow Wyoming? Looks like they must have one big-assed lawn mower there!

Whose job? Last I checked the population of the state was 1.5 million cattle and 750,000 sheep.

That means the 500,000 people don't have to mow... but they do have cattle guards as you exit the interstate ramps. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back