My Single Tier Wooden Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I have been slowly accumulating parts for a brew rig for almost a year. I had to sell off some of my old stuff in order to fund my new rig, which has left me brew less since middle of October.

I will start out by saying this is definitely a budget build. The only thing I purchased new was a plate chiller from dudadiesel and the wheels on the brewstand. Everything else has been from the classifieds, craigslist, or scrap stuff from around the house. All the lumber came from HD's cull lumber pile and was about 70% off. I had to dig around a lot but ended up with enough to make the stand. It is all pressure treated, which I dont really care about but its what was available at the time. Eventually I will stain it and fill in the nail holes with putty.

To give credit where credit is due, I spent a lot of time looking over this build, along with about ten thousand other posts, but this thread really helped get me started. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/scubas-herms-build-36267/

DSC04581_zps4ed1bec1.jpg

DSC04582_zps749b9519.jpg

DSC04583_zpsc969d4af.jpg

DSC04584_zps0baf0d06.jpg

DSC04585_zpsaa577fd9.jpg

There was absolutely zero welding done on the stand. Having a welder would have made this easier, but for now a welder is not in the budget. Maybe once I finish remodeling the bathroom.

Burners are 3 bg-14's and I have one of bayous 30 psi regulators to run them. Eventually I will make a manifold, but for now I have two regulators that I will use and just make do. These burners throw off a lot of heat. I cant believe the flame/heat output from these. I was used to my el cheapo turkey fryer, which did the job, but nowhere near what I think these will do.

Sides are 2x8's and the front is 2x6's to keep a little extra clearance for gettin things underneath. The durock is 1/4", but I think I will replace it with 1/2. The burners are so close to the durock I think after a few brews they will start to crumble, especially the ones around the bk.

Everything is held together with 6d framing nails and construction adhesive. I had a ton of nails leftover for my framing gun and did not want to purchase lags. I will say I nailed the crap out of it, but between the nails and the adhesive I do not think it is going anywhere. I can climb all over it and it feels solid.

I still need to line the insides of the frame with durock, mount the pumps and chiller and finish converting my kegs. I am hoping to make my first batch next week, if everything goes to plan. I also have some high temp bbq grill paint that I was going to paint the durock with, but I dont know if I will or not. I dont think it will last very long after painted.

And as for the wheels, yes I know they are huge. The shed in our backyard is in the far corner and we have two sections of natural flagstone walkways that this thing needs to be able to roll over, hence the off roading wheels.

Made it a little farther on the stand. Two kegs are fully converted along with adding a full sized bulkhead to my cooler. The cooler is definitely the limiting factor, but for now it will have to work. I have another coors keg but it does not match the other two. Hopefully I can find someone to trade with.

DSC04586_zps5de369e0.jpg

Pumps and plate chiller mounted.

DSC04587_zps567aaa03.jpg

DSC04588_zps89671287.jpg

DSC04589_zps21f9484e.jpg

Goals for this weekend are finish plumbing, calibrate sight tubes and then a leak test/dry run with water and eventually make it somewhat pretty.

One question, should I get some more of the fittings with a 90* bend to support the tubing better, like the fitting that is on the wort out port of the plate chiller (its hard to see, but it has a 90 on it). Are those types of fittings needed on the kettles or pumps to help take stress off the lines, or can I just cut the lines a little long and let the tubing naturally make the bend (like it does on the line running from bk to pump inlet)?

Finished the plumbing this weekend along with calibrating the sight tubes. Had no leaks from any of the weldless fittings, pumps or chiller, which was a relief. I still need to make something to mount around the pump for protection from spills and moving the rig around. Few pics of the semi finished product and the test run.

DSC04590_zps16802d9f.jpg

DSC04591_zps03fc1644.jpg

DSC04592_zps45572443.jpg

DSC04594_zps6493ae20.jpg

DSC04595_zpsb01a788a.jpg

Cant tell in the pic, but no trouble create a whirlpool while re circulating.
DSC04596_zps0aab07d8.jpg

The plate chiller and pump is amazing to use, compared to my old homemade copper chiller. I used to have to stand above the kettle and bounce the chiller up and down to get enough movement to cool. Now recirculating with the pump takes care of everything.

Nice. I like the big wheels. It should make it super easy to push around. Well done.

Back