My shameless Jester rip-off Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigLuke

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank Jester and everyone else that posted their Keezers to provide the motivation to start with this obsession.

After lurking on here for over a year and reading hundreds of posts for inspiration, I have finally decided to share my work.

It started life as a 14cf GE chest freezer from Lowes.
IMG00114-20110323-1050.jpg

With some goodies from various vendors and a manifold found on ebay for a steal, I was on my way.
IMG00149-20110506-1803.jpg

To help protect the bottom of the freezer I decided to use the 1/2" foam flooring tiles in the bottom. These can be picked up at any sporting goods store for arround $20. You can see the black diamond plate pattern between the kegs and the manifold. As you can see I was opperating with picknick taps while this was under construction.

Attachments

• IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,599
I started building the cabinet first using red oak. I need to find a good lumber yard before I start my next project as the "big box" stores' selection looked more like propellers than straight lumber. I ended up having to go to 4 differents stores to find all of the materials to use on this project.

I started by building the sides first, then the front.
IMAG0020.jpg

Using a router and a rabbett bit i was able to cut out the recess for the 1/4" oak plywood panels.
IMAG0022.jpg

The Kreg Jig really came in handy for this project.
IMAG0023.jpg

Everything is starting to come together now.
IMAG0021.jpg

Mocked up with the panel inserts.
IMAG0025.jpg

Next I started on the bar top. Like many of the builds on here i also started with 1/2" ply attached with 1/4" bolts and t-nuts.

The start of the coffin and lights.
IMAG0028.jpg

Starting the side rails.
IMAG0029.jpg

Sizing up the tile.
IMAG0030.jpg

Attaching the lower boards.
IMAG0031.jpg

Rails complete.
IMAG0032.jpg

With much of the construction complete, it was now time to work on much of the finsih work.

The lid open with its kickstand. Note the pocket holes on the rail skirts.
IMAG0033.jpg

Next came final assembly of the cabinet.
IMAG0041.jpg
IMAG0042.jpg

The cabinet with the inserts installed.
IMAG0043.jpg

I think SWMBO approves.
IMAG0044.jpg

Less pictures of the keezer and more pictures of the bike!

Oops, wrong forum

Keezer looks t1ts my man!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Things are really starting to come together.

The cabinet complete and the start of the backerboard.
IMAG0051.jpg

With the tower and taps attached.
IMAG0050.jpg

Perlicks ready for beer.
IMAG0036.jpg

Enjoying a homebrew.
IMAG0045.jpg

Do you think she likes it?
IMAG0048.jpg

Using a 5" battery powered skilsaw with an old blade turned backwards made easy work of cutting out the backerboard.
IMAG0052.jpg

My "detailed" plans.
IMAG0053.jpg

Staining w/ a 50/50 mix of Minwax Golden oak 210B and Neutral 209.
IMAG0056.jpg

Staining is finished.
IMAG0057.jpg

After four coats of Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Semi-Gloss. If you look closely you can see the area that I routered out to recess the stainless drip tray.
IMAG0058.jpg

Now the tiling begins.
IMAG0062.jpg

The top is nearly balanced, but I still use the prop stick just in case.
IMAG0064.jpg

The grout is complete.
IMAG0069.jpg

The finsihed product.
IMAG0074.jpg

The first pint pulled. Fat Belgian Amber Ale (Fat Tire Clone) Not a minute too soon, I finished this just 5 hours prior to our halloween party.
IMAG0075.jpg

Looks sweet! Did you move the hinges of the freezer or leave them in their factory position? Is your coffin insulated in any way?

Eric

Proud to say I have used that famous keezer of Jester's..and the brew was fabulous.

Your clone is first-rate

Looks sweet! Did you move the hinges of the freezer or leave them in their factory position? Is your coffin insulated in any way?

Eric

The hinges are in the stock location, although I do have to remove them to get the monster through the doorway! I did insulate the coffin with 3/4" pink foam insulation and am currently building a small 110 fan box to draw cold air from the bottom into the coffin. I haven't decided on wether to have it turn on with the compressor or just manually swithc it on. Either way will be just as easy. I will post more pics once complete.

What size is your drip tray and where did you purchase it? I'm having a difficult time locating an affordable tray that's also wide enough.

Your keezer looks great!

thrust,

It is a 24" flush mount version that I found on Amazon. I don't think that they carry it anymore, but I believe that I only paid around $50 for it delivered.

Thanks!

I really like this build, Awesome that you didn't have to mess with building a collar.

Can you show how you ran your lines up to the tap? how are you cooling your lines running up as well?

Nice Job!!! I didn't know those regulators would work lying down like that..I'll have to remember that for future projects...:)

I'm halfway thru my build. I have 7 kegs. The problem I'm running into is all the moisture building up is causing mold/mildew. I bought one of the largest wireless dehumidifiers on amazon but didn't notice a difference. Im thinking about adding a fan or possibly a second dehumidifier. Any other suggestions or advice?

I like brewing not scrubbing with bleach lol!

DuffyBros,

I was having the same problem at first. Then I discovered that there were still air gaps in my coffin. Once I taped and insulated the coffin, I eliminated all of the air gaps, and this virtually eliminated the excess moisture. It used to be so bad that I had to run the wet/dry vac to get rid of all the water. Now it is nearly dry to the touch! I recommend that you track down any air leaks and get them sealed up. I used aluminum tape used in HVAC systems in my coffin then lined it with 2 layers of pink 3/4" insulation. For the access panel I offset the layers in a step pattern to ensure a tight seal. Like I said nearly no moisture at all now. I am very happy!

Freaking nice build!

I am really digging the one piece lid/cover and not using a collar.

Do you any pics of the hoses being routed/pulled through the lid?

Back