My SG is off the charts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPA-brewer

Reaction score
I started a 6 gallon batch of welch's white grape raspberry wine. There is a total of 56 - 12oz cans and about 8 cups of water in this 6 gallon batch. The SG reading was off the hydrometer chart (unmeasureable). Is this going to ruin the wine? Should i split it up into two primary fermenters and add water? or just let it go and have a huge ABV?

I would like to here your thought's on this.

If its too high, your yeast won't be able to get started. I would separate and water down

Whoa. I looked up the info on the can. 39 g of sugars/serving, 6 servings/can, 56 cans.

That's 13,104 grams of sugar. Assuming it's table sugar (may not be the best approximation), thats about 29 lbs of sugar. I estimate an OG of 1.145 for 6 gallons. I've never made wine like that before, but for reference my Rhubarb wine started at 1.091 and ended up at 14% ABV which is plenty strong IMO.

To hit 1.095, I calcluate you need a new total volume of 9.16 gallons. So I would start conservative. Split and add 0.75 gallons of water to each fermenter. See where you land and then adjust from there. Good luck!

I would definitely split the volume between another primary, to each holding three gallons, top both off to five gallons with room temp water, stir well, take a SG reading and decide how to address that final gallon of headspace. Then you have the makings of a good wine. Typically one uses just 2-4 cans of frozen concentrate per gallon, you used 9.3 cans per gallon.

What yeast are you using?

Thanks Guys. I seperated into two primary's and added some water. Im now at a SG reading of 17%. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the input.

Ok guys i pitched my yeast 24 hours ago but im not getting much results yet. Do you think i might need a second pack of yeast to get this going? My SG is at 17%.

If you broke your 56 cans into 3 5 gallon batches you would be using 3.7 cans per gallon. If you broke it down into 3 6 gallon batches you would be using 3.1 cans per gallon of concentrate.

I would probably make 3 5 gallon batches out of it.

Carl

Ok guys i pitched my yeast 24 hours ago but im not getting much results yet. Do you think i might need a second pack of yeast to get this going? My SG is at 17%.

It is not uncommon for it to take 72-96hrs before you notice visible signs of fermentation. Put your ear toward the surface, and if you hear a fine pop/sizzle almost like Rice Crispy cereal in milk but quieter then you are fermenting. Do not forget to stir twice daily, the must needs aeration, the yeast NEED oxygen. Aim for ambient temp of 68-70F. Are you using bucket or carboy for primary?

In case you were not aware, you should end up with a semisweet finished wine since your yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 13-15%---I do not think you need to pitch two packs per batch unless your batch size is six gallons, then you usually pitch two packs; but if you had two six gallon batches you could just split one pack of yeast between the two.

Thanks Sarmac. Im using a bucket as my primary and my batch size is 6 gallons.Will i need to pitch more yeast sence im at 6 gallons and not 5?

Thanks Sarmac. Im using a bucket as my primary and my batch size is 6 gallons.Will i need to pitch more yeast sence im at 6 gallons and not 5?

Totally your call. If it is fermenting nicely you do not have to because your yeast should just keep multiplying. But if it makes you feel better, add the second package.

It's been fermenting very well with just one pack of yeast so i just left it be. Thanks for your input.

It's now in the secondary fermenter for 3 days and still fermenting very well. I did add 4 more cans of welche's white grape raspberry concentrate to top it off.

Back