My SG came in .015 points too low??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
I just brewed an extract kit of Bavarian lager from Midwest supplies. Took the SG and it was 1.030. Not sure what happened. This is my 4th batch and I've never had this problem before. Everything went smoothly for the most part. I was working with a new funnel and strainer and might have lost a little wort due to spilling while getting in the carboy, but I doubt a few ounces can make a swing this big.

I got my thermometer out to make sure the sample was 60 degrees when I took the reading.

Any idea whats happened? Will it effect my beer besides it turning into a low alcohol session beer?

Extract beer is using a known amount of fermentable sugar with a known amount of water. So as long as you get it all in there and use 5 gallons, you can't miss your OG.

You probably just didn't mix it as well as you thought and I'd be shocked if you missed it by that much without dumping half of it on the floor.

Back