My Rye Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuglehaus

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday. I was leery to use too much rye the first go around. I'm hoping to get some of the earthiness and spice against a flat 2 row to help me understand the grain. We'll see how this goes. Hops were what I had on hand. In fact, everything was just what I had on hand with the exceptions of the rye.

Rye Rye Roggenbier
Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/22/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Kug
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Cooler (15Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): ? Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 27.27 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.54 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 15.6 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.2 SRM Color: Color

That recipe looks just fine, Thats a good amount of rye to use, large amounts of Rye will give you stuck sparges.

That recipe looks just fine, Thats a good amount of rye to use, large amounts of Rye will give you stuck sparges.

Yea... no kidding. I just made the Northern Brewer Roggenbier and even though they include some rice hulls in the mix, it was not enough. I strongly suggest add lots of rice hulls.

Also, the rye grain is in fact much smaller than regular grain. My Barley Crusher wouldn't crush the rye at all on the standard setting. I had to bring it in to get the right crush then let it back out for the regular grain.

You say you don't want to use too much rye, but 28% is kinda high imho. I use 20% in my amber rye (check my drop down), and it comes through nice and strong.
My $0.02

The recipes for roggenbier all seems to be 50% or so. I didn't want to commit that much so I toned it down. I also don't have a strong love of wheat in beer, so I felt barley a better backing for my taste. I think the historical roggenbier was 50/50 Rye/Wheat. I ran at this as a toned down roggenbier based on those examples. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I could be and probably am totally wrong on what the "basic" is, but I only looked at a wiki page and 2 recipes.

Back