My roses love my trub!! Lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with the different flowers and bushes and ornamentals in my garden and I gotta say... My rose bushes absolutely love it when I dump the trub on them. They have been growing like crazy as well as a new crepe myrtle and other small bushes. Anyone know why? I'm thinking its got to do with the bacteria in the soil now but I'm no horticulturist.

Just a guess but it is a pretty dense organic slurry. I am betting the nutrients really beef up the soil. I would wonder about the alcohol but I guess it really isn't all that much compared to the organic content.

When you say trub are you meaning the remains from your boil kettle or the remains from the fermenter (slurry)?

I would think if it is the remains from the boil that it is due to the high acidic content of the hops since roses like a higher acidity in their soil and do better with it.

Glad to hear you're using your trub in a cool, creative way! Maybe I'll try dumping my hop kettle's leftover crap in my impatient pots tomorrow...

I had an idea about using some of my leftover grains to make malted barley tea and homemade vinegar and found out organic gardeners will use wort as a type of fertilizer!

I'll tell you what ... my wife getting me one of those simple beer kits as a Christmas gift opened up a can of worms for her and a brand new learning experience of a hobby for me.
It's been over 6 months now and I'm still learning things.

I have used spent grains to make dog treats as well as dried some out for a buddy's chickens.

I just this week used some yeast cake from a freshly bottled batch of beer and poured it over a select few container plants so I can observe any difference from the control plants. So far none have died!

I may be wrong but I think I remember home hop growers saying they dump the trub, and any boiled hops into the soil. Something about them being high in nitrogen or something like that.

Back