my red wine is not red yet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reynardthefox

Reaction score
greetings,
I have made a few successful country wines so far, so I decided to try red wine.
I crushed the grapes and put them in a barrel with a thick cloth cover. i started with an SG of 1.100 and punched the cap 2 times daily for 4 days. now the SG is 1.010 and ready for secondary but the color is not red enough. it's more of a dark rose than good red.
what do I do? let it stay more on the skins and close the lid or settle for what I got and go for secondary?
thanks

greetings,
I have made a few successful country wines so far, so I decided to try red wine.
I crushed the grapes and put them in a barrel with a thick cloth cover. i started with an SG of 1.100 and punched the cap 2 times daily for 4 days. now the SG is 1.010 and ready for secondary but the color is not red enough. it's more of a dark rose than good red.
what do I do? let it stay more on the skins and close the lid or settle for what I got and go for secondary?
thanks
Hey mate, I've never made wine at home but worked in a winery for a vintage. They would keep the wine on the skins for 7-10 days. Try a few more days and keep punching down and see how you go.

What grapes are you using? Some American grapes (eg Catawba) will only make a rose wine regardless of the time on skin. Not a lot of anthocyanin pigment.

Also, increased skin time may impart undesirable flavors in non vinifera grapes.

What grapes are you using? Some American grapes (eg Catawba) will only make a rose wine regardless of the time on skin. Not a lot of anthocyanin pigment.

Also, increased skin time may impart undesirable flavors in non vinifera grapes.

yeah, my main concern was the flavor because fermentation is over and i don't wanna sacrifice taste for color. and i don't think it is a vinifera variety. i think i'll settle for a rose and strain it tomorrow for secondary.
thanks

Back