My recipe.. Your comments..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aaronius79

Reaction score
I did my first recipe for an extract brew. Here's what I did.

6lbs LME
3.15 lbs Munich malt

Specialty grains
1lb cherrywood smoked malt
.5 lb of victory malt
.25 lb dark crystal malt
.5lb of chocolate malt

Hops

3 oz's of German hallertaur hops.

Also a whirlfloc tab

Did a 60 minute boil with 2oz's of hops added after hot break and final oz added at 5 minutes before boil finish.

It's OG was 1.070. It's fermented for two weeks and has stabilized at 1.018

Flavor profile
Super smooth body, low bitterness but good hop aroma.

I would have like a bit more hop bitterness and more smokiness. Any recommendations??

Reaction score
It's funny you said you would like more smokiness because I looked at the 1 lb of smoked malt and said..wow that's a lot. But I've never used it before.
Increase the bittering hops and/or add a small amount with 15-20 minutes left in the boil for a little bitterness and flavor.
And one more thing - that victory malt needs tone mashed to be effective. You will still get a small amount of color and flavor but I would drop it unless you want to do a small mini mash. But I don't think it's worth it in this beer. Hope I helped!

OP
A

aaronius79

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What hops would you recommend for bittering in this recipe? I would want something that would compliment the hallertaur hops. Fuggles maybe?

Also, the smokiness from the cherrywood malt is quite subtle. I'm hoping someone here has used it before and could recommend what quantity I should use to get more smokiness.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
I use a pound in my favorite Porter recipe. Early on with the Cherrywood Smoked Malt, you get a nice cherry flavor, but as the bottles start to dwindle or keg empties out, you get more of a smoke flavor. I will be making this Porter again, when I find a half way decent day outside to brew.

Reaction score
If trying to stick to the German hops, I love magnum for bittering. You could reserve some of the hallertau for flavor/aroma. The magnum is high alpha so it won't take as much to achieve the bitterness.